Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012
Have to admit, first time i used the iPad 3 I was like meh, nice screen, not quite mind blowing as I expected but still sweet. After week I hardly noticed the retina effect. Two weeks later playing with the iPad 2 for the first time again I definitely notice its thinner and lighter. Much lighter than I remembered it being. After a few minutes it feels as familiar as ever. I also notice it feels a lot cooler on the back. No complaints. I have to say the whites do seem a little whiter than my iPad 3 although colors are a little duller. I'm seeing a fine pixelly mesh over the screen I never noticed before. Going online i see websites text is especially difficult to read in portrait. I find myself holding the screen a little closer to make out the text more easily. I find I'm staring at words a little longer for them to register.

After about 30 minutes my eyes had almost totally adjusted to the screen and It wasn't as much of a struggle to read text as at first.

It's weird how every little change feels so exaggerated going from 2 to 3 and then back again. As much as I like no. 3 there's definitely a lot I miss about 2.

So how did you find it going back to iPad 1 or 2 after a long time with 3?

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
ipad 1 is fine. ipad 2 is fine. ipad 3 is better. a little warmer, but that is about the only complaint i can think of making.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Honestly, I compared the screens after using the iPad2 iPad3 and I can see the spacing or pixelization on the iPad2. I did not upgrade as I needed my own because my kids took over the iPad2 so I decided to stay with the iPad3.

However, every hung you mentioned I competency agree with and experienced first hand. I do think the iPad2 feels noticeably lighter and thinner and never gets warm.

Sir David

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2012
I liked my iPad 2 but still upgraded to the new iPad and I never regret it. Yesterday, I looked at friends iPad 2 display and definitely noticed the difference. I love the high resolution retina display so much, I would not want to miss it.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
As far as the weight ...

Oh boy do I ever agree with u there

It's significantly heavier and noticeable.

Let's hope battery tech improves soon

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
As far as the weight ...

Are you a precision scale or something? It's negligible at best, really.

Akack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2011
USA
Haven't sold my iPad 2 yet:

Thickness - slight thickness of the new iPad is negligible
Weight - do miss the weight of the 2 quite a bit so far, maybe as time passes not so much........
Heat - new iPad being warmer does not bother me
Longer charge time - doesn't bother me since I charge it overnight
4G - definitely nice to have blazing fast DL speeds

Screen - the retina screen is that much better, the screen on the 2 looks so grainy now !!

Summary, only thing I miss about the 2 is the feathery weight feel.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My God... I came from an iPad 1, and this makes all the difference. I hated the slowness of the iPad 1 and the 256 MB of RAM. The screen is beautiful. The 1 seems so... Old. It seems like an unfinished product. In my opinion, the 2 should have been the 1, and the 3 is the maturation of the product line.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
The iPad 2's screen is way too pixelated for me to go back. But, whites are whiter and the screen is brighter. Hopefully this can be addressed in the newer new iPad.

I can't believe the weight is an issue for some of you. Just my opinion, of course, but I haven't once noticed the difference. Maybe unlike others, I usually have the iPad propped up on something rather than using my own strength (ROAR) to hold it.

MacAttacka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2012

You're right the difference is negligible, but when you spend so much time with any particular iPad you really do notice the difference when you play with another. Of course heavier mean just that, heavier, noticeable but not heavy. Even the slimness. I never would have thought I could physically feel 0.6mm but I definitely can. The weight is more noticable than the width. Its not a complaint, just something you notice. iPad 2 is still a miracle of engineering. Apple really out did themselves on that one.

----------

My God... I came from an iPad 1, and this makes all the difference. I hated the slowness of the iPad 1 and the 256 MB of RAM. The screen is beautiful. The 1 seems so... Old. It seems like an unfinished product. In my opinion, the 2 should have been the 1, and the 3 is the maturation of the product line.

I was never a fan of the original. It was to my mind very much a big iPod Touch but I deffinitely felt iPad 2 was a real computer.

I have to say to all of you guys wowed over the iPad 3, it is in no way even a fraction faster than iPad 2. Except for the retina screen the performance is exactly the same. I felt the iPad 2 in terms of CPU & GPU power was a monumental improvement over the original. iPad 3 is just a thicker, heavier, warmer iPad 2 with a ground breaking, stunning retina screen. I know a lot of people skipped the iPad 2 saying it wasnt much of an improvement over the original but boy was it ever. I tend to avoid the first gen Apple products as they have a kinda prototypy feel to them.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I was never a fan of the original. It was to my mind very much a big iPod Touch but I deffinitely felt iPad 2 was a real computer.

What did you find so different about the 1 and 2? I thought 2 was a very nice improvement over the 1, what with being thinner and lighter, having cameras, and faster operation, but the difference didn't seem so marked as to make the 2 a "real" computer when the 1 was not.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
What did you find so different about the 1 and 2? I thought 2 was a very nice improvement over the 1, what with being thinner and lighter, having cameras, and faster operation, but the difference didn't seem so marked as to make the 2 a "real" computer when the 1 was not.

Yeah, I don't get comments like that either. Whether or not the iPad feels like a computer should depend primarily on the software and not the hardware. Aside from few graphics intensive apps, there's almost nothing you can do on the 2 that you can't do on the 1.

Now if iOS 6 obsoletes the 1 in favor of some more "real computer"-like functions, it's a different story.

David Menzel

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
I don't want to go back. I love the retina display - it's a lot better as the display of my former iPad 2.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006

Very similar experience.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
As far as the weight ...

Sorry, but .11 lbs is only "significantly heavier" when the earlier product weighed .1 lbs or less. Or if you're extremely weak...

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have a hard time believing people are sensitive (or even perceptive) to 11/100ths of a lb weight difference (per Apple’s specs: IP2 = 1.33 vs. IP3 = 1.44 lbs) or 51g. Especially as a percentage of the overall weight.

51g is ~3 CDs (bare, no case)

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
Totally off the point

No scale is needed. All that matters is the subjective experience and the official weight information. This is so obvious, and makes the quoted post seem rather strange, not using a stronger expression.

Jonesy76

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Norwich
Some people on here seriously need to get off the couch and get down the gym if they're whining about the weight.:rolleyes:

And the heat of the 3 is more a case of warmth, rather than heat, and is the usual case of Apple using the aluminium casing as a heat sink as they do with the MacBook Pro and iMac. My friends kid played for over an hour on mine yesterday and you could feel it was warm through my carbon fibre rear cover but nothing that would ever worry a parent.

My wife has my iPad 1 and I certainly wouldn't want to swap back from the 3.

Jonesy76

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2012
Norwich
Pics please :D
Ask nicely and you receive

30499b9a.jpg

3K weave carbon so it matches my racing bikes :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.