Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I have a 32GB 4S. I recently received a message that my phone is running out of space. How do I know what documents and data are taking up space on my phone? Obviously some things are easy...I know my music, videos and Spotify are the biggest culprits. And I also use podcasting software and the Nook app. But with some of my apps I wasn't sure what was causing the large data store. For instance I use TweetDeck. The size of the app is 2.5MB. But the total usage on my phone was showing 430MB. I ended up removing the app and reinstalling it to reduce the size. But what is all that data and how do you remove it without having to uninstall and reinstall the app? I use TweetDeck a lot so I don't want to have to keep uninstalling and reinstalling it to reduce the app size. Another example is the EuropeanTour golf app. I hardly ever use the app but it says I have 17MB worth of documents & data stored on my phone. Is there a way to tell what that is and how to get rid of it?

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I think there is an option in General: About settings that gives you some more info.

Also the bar at the bottom in iTunes show how much is made up of each media kind

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
An application's data also contains caches, settings, application generated files and folders.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
An application's data also contains caches, settings, application generated files and folders.

I'm assuming it's the cache that's eating up space. Is there any way to clear the cache without removing and reinstalling the app?

----------

I think there is an option in General: About settings that gives you some more info.

Also the bar at the bottom in iTunes show how much is made up of each media kind
I can easily see which apps are taking up the most space but within some apps I'm not sure why they're as large as they are (as they're a lot larger than the initial size of the app when I downloaded it).

Antoni Nygaard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2009
Denmark
Most of the cases it's the cache that's going up in size. There is lo limitations that I know of. The cache file of some of my apps is. : tweetbot 128mb, Facebook 33.5mb, flipboard 28mb. Instagram 17.6mb. All of them is just getting bigger for everyday.

I recently reinstalled some the apps that used lot of space. That's why they not so big anymore.

I don't get why the developers didn't put a limitation on or the cache could clean itself after a maximum of mb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.