Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kocoman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Anyone can go into Settings > Location Services, then Turn off location services.

This message will pop up

“Turning off Location Services will no longer enable you to locate your ipad on a map with "Find My iPad"

Gol27

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted

I think that's why people password lock their devices. That way they can't get to the settings area to turn location services off.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
The best way I have found is to set a password in Settings > General > Restrictions. Over here, you must disable that any changes can be made to Contacts.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
Obviously a passcode or a password will prevent someone from getting in to turn it off.

Location services, yes. The device? No. You can turn off an iPhone that uses passcode or password without it. Takes about 10 seconds. :( Has the same effect as turning location services off.

Sent TC an email about this but never got a response.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Anyone can go into Settings > Location Services, then Turn off location services.

This message will pop up

“Turning off Location Services will no longer enable you to locate your ipad on a map with "Find My iPad"

it won't matter. if they find your device and it has a lock code they can simply turn the device off and you won't be able to locate it via find my iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.