Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kuwait

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Kuwait
Two day before i install the system, the system is very beautiful and very fast browsing and I liked the system of protection

test Programs have been

mackepper 2012 okay working fine

folx 2.0 many problem on system

Skype working fine

i am sorry for my english

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I have noticed most Apps seem to behave. Most of the issues I have are the same issues I have had since 10.6/10.7 and are under the hood.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Two day before i install the system, the system is very beautiful and very fast browsing and I liked the system of protection

test Programs have been

mackepper 2012 okay working fine

folx 2.0 many problem on system

Skype working fine

i am sorry for my english

This is completely unrelated, but is Mackeeper just spam or does it actually do anything?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This is completely unrelated, but is Mackeeper just spam or does it actually do anything?
It's pretty much useless in every respect. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

antivirus and clean system
You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser. (For Safari users, uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security.) This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild.

Kuwait

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Kuwait
A thank you sir i don't know before mac not need antiviurs i think mac as windows must it have antiviurs

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
It's pretty much useless in every respect. You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.

These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.

Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser. (For Safari users, uncheck "Enable Java" in Safari > Preferences > Security.) This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave this unchecked until you visit a trusted site that requires Java, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild.

You give out extremely dangerous advice. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is how disaster happens.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You give out extremely dangerous advice. Putting all of your eggs in one basket is how disaster happens.
Explain how anything I said relates to "putting all your eggs in one basket" or how any of it is "dangerous". Practicing safe computing is the opposite of dangerous. Before you make such an accusation, be prepared to back it up with facts.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
Explain how anything I said relates to "putting all your eggs in one basket" or how any of it is "dangerous". Practicing safe computing is the opposite of dangerous. Before you make such an accusation, be prepared to back it up with facts.

Lol, I VE been trying hard to figure out what his eggs and basket was all about to no avail either.

Oh, I just to add onyx to your post which with due care is a very useful maintenance tool as well as diskwarrior. Time and again the latter when booting off an os image has done wonders to fix broken file and folder structures of the os, as hfs+ in os x isn't particularly good in handling such issues in a so to speak self healing ways.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Lol, I VE been trying hard to figure out what his eggs and basket was all about to no avail either.

Oh, I just to add onyx to your post which with due care is a very useful maintenance tool as well as diskwarrior. Time and again the latter when booting off an os image has done wonders to fix broken file and folder structures of the os, as hfs+ in os x isn't particularly good in handling such issues in a so to speak self healing ways.
OnyX is a well-respected tool, and I've heard good things about DiskWarrior, as well. Of course, there are appropriate uses for them, and the user should know what they're doing when using such tools.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
GGJstudios is a significant asset to our community.

Anyone who's paying attention will notice that GGJstudios spends a tremendous amount of time providing courteous, knowledgeable help to others.

If some of the posts seem repetitive it's because many users have the same questions & issues. Especially when it comes to security.

Think twice before you decide to be rude or question the sage advice provided.

The advice given by GGJstudios is genuine, accurate, concise, and well intentioned, without fail.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Yeah, I fail to see how any of that could be considered "extremely dangerous", it all sounded very reasonable to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.