Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Summersify

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
UK
Hi all,

Firstly, and this is probably my issue, I have no idea what I'm trying to do is called.

Basically, what I want to have is something that moves across the screen (i.e. a bike rider, or a person walking in front of the camera) which, after them, 'reveals' the next scene. Is this possible in Final Cut Pro X? Or do I have to do it in Motion? And if so, how?

Thanks,

Jack

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Sorry that no one has answered yet. I didn't dare because I also have no idea of the official name for that kind of effect (let alone in English...).

What you are looking for is definitely doable both in FCPX and in Motion. Although for anything fancier than a straight line, you will need an additional plugin if you want to do it in FCPX. The first free one I found that allows keyframing (you could also make your own in Motion) is this one.

Just overlap your clips, apply the mask to the first one and rotoscope with the object wiping over your screen. The procedure is roughly the same in FCPX and Motion, although Motion offers you much more advanced masking capabilities.

I don't know how well you know your way around keyframing, so if the last part was completely not understandable for you, ask again and I'll explain.

Summersify

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
UK
Sorry that no one has answered yet. I didn't dare because I also have no idea of the official name for that kind of effect (let alone in English...).

What you are looking for is definitely doable both in FCPX and in Motion. Although for anything fancier than a straight line, you will need an additional plugin if you want to do it in FCPX. The first free one I found that allows keyframing (you could also make your own in Motion) is this one.

Just overlap your clips, apply the mask to the first one and rotoscope with the object wiping over your screen. The procedure is roughly the same in FCPX and Motion, although Motion offers you much more advanced masking capabilities.

I don't know how well you know your way around keyframing, so if the last part was completely not understandable for you, ask again and I'll explain.

Sorry for the (very) late reply, but yes, I understand that all, but the meaning of rotoscoping. Googled it, but I don't seem to have the technical knowledge to even understand the definitions of it... If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated! :)

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
Sorry for the (very) late reply, but yes, I understand that all, but the meaning of rotoscoping. Googled it, but I don't seem to have the technical knowledge to even understand the definitions of it... If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm not much of a visual effects guy, but the basic definition of rotoscoping is:
1. You are going frame-by-frame through the footage in question
2. For each frame, you set a keyframe for all parameters that you want to change in your editor/compositing program
3. You adjust said parameters to match the current frame

In your case, this would mean that you go to the first frame your "moving across" object appears in the frame and you mask out what has to be removed. You make a keyframe on all mask position parameters. Then you go to the next frame, make a keyframe for all position parameters and adjust you mask accordingly. Then repeat until drop dead. ;)

It shouldn't be too bad for your case, that sounds like 20 or 30 frames, and maybe you can just move the entire mask instead of adjusting each point, which will save you lots of time.

So, in general, rotoscoping just means "going frame by frame" and the rest of what I just said is only what it "usually" is referring to.

Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.