Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StolenSin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2012
I cannot run the 2001 Black & White game on my macbook (2010) - error states: could not be launched because of a shared library error.

Is the game just too old?:confused:

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Well... This game is for PowerPC Macs and is not written for intel based Macs. The next question would be, are you are running Snow Leopard (10.6) or Lion (10.7).

If you are running Lion, the game will not run. You need Rosetta, which is PowerPC emulation, to run the game and is no longer supported in Lion. Rosetta allows an intel based Mac to run older PowerPC based mac games.

If you are running Snow Leopard, make sure you have Rosetta installed. If you have Rosetta on your Mac, it should run well. Mac Rumors has the game listed as running well under Rosetta on intel Macs HERE.

If you have Rosetta and are running anything but OSX Lion, this game should run. The error you are getting may be due to something else. You may need to reinstall the game. I have the game, maybe I will load it onto one of my intel Macs and try it out to see what happens. Just let me know which version of OSX you are running.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Version 1.1.9 should run using Rosetta emulation but it is not an Intel native game. The sequel Black & White 2 is Intel native.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.