Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
What is the best tool to SSH these days?

Been a while since I had Terminal / OpenSSH on my iP4 (4.1), and now I'm on a Mac (was on Windows). At the time it was open SSH and Cyberduck I believe.

My thought was to look into iFunbox instead - but I may not be clear on the functionality....

What are you guys using?

Also - if the root password was changed on a previous firmware/jailbreak, and I've since restored and re-jailbroken, does it need to be changed from the default alpine again, or does that carry over with the restore from my backup?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland

Been a while since I had Terminal / OpenSSH on my iP4 (4.1), and now I'm on a Mac (was on Windows). At the time it was open SSH and Cyberduck I believe.

My thought was to look into iFunbox instead - but I may not be clear on the functionality....

What are you guys using?

Also - if the root password was changed on a previous firmware/jailbreak, and I've since restored and re-jailbroken, does it need to be changed from the default alpine again, or does that carry over with the restore from my backup?

I'm currently using iFunBox. Basically gives you access to all the root files. I don't use SSH but I'm guessing they do the same thing except one doesn't need you to physically connect your device to a computer.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
I'm currently using iFunBox. Basically gives you access to all the root files. I don't use SSH but I'm guessing they do the same thing except one doesn't need you to physically connect your device to a computer.

That's the impression I got. Thanks!

Anyone else have any preferences/input? I'm curious about SSH because from what I understand, you can use it to fix some issues even if your phone is stuck in recovery, etc. Does iFunbox offer that functionality?

Thanks again.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
I hate USB cables:). Ive tried a lot of apps, but I always end up using Cyberduck.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Another question along these lines; Does iFunbox allow you work with the device while it is in recovery like SSH will? Also, are there any programs besides Cyberduck that people are using/prefer?

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA

What are you guys using?

Sorry to keep dragging this thread up, but does anyone know if it's necessary to change the root PW again in terminal after a restore before re-installing openSSH? Thanks!

Bl0ckHe1d

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2009
Caledonia
Sorry to keep dragging this thread up, but does anyone know if it's necessary to change the root PW again in terminal after a restore before re-installing openSSH? Thanks!

Yeah best to change the "alpine" password to be on the safe side!

If you have already done this then no need to keep changing it.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Yeah best to change the "alpine" password to be on the safe side!

If you have already done this then no need to keep changing it.

I have done this, but not since restoring (used previous phone backup in iTunes) & re-jailbreaking. Hence, I was wondering if it went back to the default "alpine" when I did the restore.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
I have done this, but not since restoring (used previous phone backup in iTunes) & re-jailbreaking. Hence, I was wondering if it went back to the default "alpine" when I did the restore.

iFunBox, when you first run the SSH terminal, will check for the default password.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
If you are going to use SSH, use a REAL SSH client like Fugu or another FTP program. These kinds of programs will allow you to CHMOD unlike the goofball popular programs people seem to use with stripped down feature sets.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I would just point out that by default iFunBox uses afc2 not SSH. It is therefore limitedin it's functionality (it cannot create files or folders with other than 644 permissions, for instance). Also, even if you choose to use iFunBox primarily, I would strongly recommend installing OpenSSH and iFile on your phone. They can be great for troubleshooting when some bad package puts you in a restoring loop, etc.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Jul 10, 2008
If you are going to use SSH, use a REAL SSH client like Fugu or another FTP program. These kinds of programs will allow you to CHMOD unlike the goofball popular programs people seem to use with stripped down feature sets.

Cyberduck does what I need it to do, and its simple. Are these others more difficult and just add features you don't need anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.