Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
I have decided to replace my MBP 2,2 and get a desktop... I am 90% in the iMac Camp, but really like the idea of 12 TB of internal storeage, along with tinkering around inside a Mac Pro. Any how If I were to get a new iMac from the current lineup my only question is about the 27" iMac's GPU's. I have been looking all over to find out if the 2GB version of the 6970M is worth the upgrade from the 1GB version? BareFeats compared the i7 w/2G to an i5 with 1Gb and it was faster, but that is not comparing apples to apples...

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I take it you realise they are about to release the new model. If your MBP is still working wait a few weeks. If you still want the 2011 model you could go refurb then and save a few quid.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
wait for the 2012 line or think about a mac pro.iMac with its zero upgrade capabilities its a bad pain in the as@.

seanm9

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
I realize that new Models are around the corner. But I am thinking in general....
There are plenty of benchmarks that show card x with 512MB of VRAM vs card x with 1GB of VRAM... and the boost that 1GB gives you... but the leap from 1GB to 2 GB is not documented that well... I am most likely waiting for the new Macs or WWDC to order, and assume that the Top of the line iMac will have similar CTO options as far as GPU's go... probably 7xxxM in both 1 and 2 GB versions (are there 3 or 4 GB GPU's out?) and... the new line up will also make my decision harder as I am hoping that the Tower's aren't dead yet...

----------

wait for the 2012 line or think about a mac pro.iMac with its zero upgrade capabilities its a bad pain in the as@.

Saw a TB enclosure in Best Buy.... that will let me expand my storage to what i want in a MP

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
I realize that new Models are around the corner. But I am thinking in general....
There are plenty of benchmarks that show card x with 512MB of VRAM vs card x with 1GB of VRAM... and the boost that 1GB gives you... but the leap from 1GB to 2 GB is not documented that well... I am most likely waiting for the new Macs or WWDC to order, and assume that the Top of the line iMac will have similar CTO options as far as GPU's go... probably 7xxxM in both 1 and 2 GB versions (are there 3 or 4 GB GPU's out?) and... the new line up will also make my decision harder as I am hoping that the Tower's aren't dead yet...

From what people seem to think so far, it looks like the card will be the 7970M, which I believe ONLY comes in 2GB...

If I'm wrong on that, hopefully someone will correct me...

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Having seen the specs for CS 6 and Adobe's Mercury, I see where you're coming from regarding graphics. But I think you really need to look at how a given set of hardware works with the applications YOU use; what might work great for a particular game might not be as good a value for Photoshop.

The way things are going we may be lucky to be able to even upgrade the RAM on an iMac.

And who knows what Apple's gonna do with the Mac Pros? But at least now you can get one and do a bunch of mods on it to get where you wanna go.

Murtagh

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2012
From what people seem to think so far, it looks like the card will be the 7970M, which I believe ONLY comes in 2GB...

If I'm wrong on that, hopefully someone will correct me...

http://www.amd.com/us/products/notebook/graphics/7000m/7900m/Pages/radeon-7900m-series.aspx#2

You are correct, which is why I hope they make the 2gb the standard GPU in the 27" and make the BTO two 7970m's in crossfire :)

one can dream...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.