Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Just a couple of questions regarding the sound quality through iTunes. I found somewhere online that through iTunes if you higher the preamp setting through the EQ it highers the volume overall for music on iTunes. I tried it, and it sure worked, but am wondering if I should do it? I don't wanna blow my speakers, so at the moment, I've set it back the default 'middle'.

Also, I read that this;

http://haggis.tumblr.com/post/8744770242/probably-the-best-itunes-eq-setting-ive-found

... supposedly the best EQ setting for iTunes? Is it? Most places I've looked seem to follow that pattern. Is it?

Kenndac

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2003
There's no such thing as a universal "perfect" EQ setting, since it depends on the speakers you're using. My speakers have great bass response, so I wouldn't want to up the bass in an EQ, where another set of speakers with poorer bass response will gain more benefit.

The same applies across the whole spectrum.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
I generally use my built in speakers or a small portable speakers with my MacBook Pro.

I just tried the setting they gave with my speakers, and it sounded louder, but kind of.. I dunno... harsh on the ears. I've set it to iTunes default 'rock' setting and it sounds good.

What's the default iTunes setting, 'flat'?

And the preamp setting, should I leave it at the default position, or can I higher it to add a boost to the volume? Or could that mess up my speakers?

Thanks.

tug

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2010
loughborough. u.k.
it cant hurt your speakers, although depending how much gain youve got below 1k you could get distortion. but dont worry 'bout hurting them they will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.