Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bravenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
Hi everyone!
Can somebody advise me, please...?
I own a Black MacBook 4,1 (late 2008) with OS X Leopard (v.10.5.8) installed. I am experiencing problems with the hard drive, which requires the Installation Discs to sort it out, but I don't have the Installation Disc Set.
I was wondering what would be the best, most effective remedy for this problem? Would it be possible / recommended to backup then format the hard drive and do a fresh, full install using OS X Snow Leopard 10.6? Would this be possible and would it sort out the problem/s? If you have any other ideas or recommendations I would be most grateful.
Many thanks in anticipation.
Sincerely,
Nigel. :confused:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
The upgrade to Snow Leopard is a good idea so you might as well get the $29 package.

But the first thing you can do, after backing up, is to install AppleJack in your current system. Read the instructions. You'll be able to run Disk Repair by starting up in "single user" mode...no install disk required.

If that works, you can continue with 10.5.8 or do your upgrade. If the disk can't be repaired, something like DiskWarrior (not free) could possibly fix it, but the disk could be damaged or dying. DiskWarrior is $99 so I would actually recommend putting that money toward a new drive instead. Put Snow Leopard on it, then migrate from your backup.

If you get a new HD, take a look at the hybrids. Newegg has a sale on this one that ends today...$90!

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
I think for $30 you should upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Even if it turns out your hard drive is dying and you have to replace it, I'd still recommend Snow Leopard.

As for your existing data, I see 2 easy options:
1) Simply upgrade the existing 10.5 installation.
2) Take a time machine backup of your 10.5 installation to a separate hard drive. Do a clean installation of Snow Leopard, and select the option to import the existing data from time machine. That will copy over your user accounts, applications, files, etc.

Bravenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
The upgrade to Snow Leopard is a good idea so you might as well get the $29 package.

But the first thing you can do, after backing up, is to install AppleJack in your current system. Read the instructions. You'll be able to run Disk Repair by starting up in "single user" mode...no install disk required.

If that works, you can continue with 10.5.8 or do your upgrade. If the disk can't be repaired, something like DiskWarrior (not free) could possibly fix it, but the disk could be damaged or dying. DiskWarrior is $99 so I would actually recommend putting that money toward a new drive instead. Put Snow Leopard on it, then migrate from your backup.

If you get a new HD, take a look at the hybrids. Newegg has a sale on this one that ends today...$90!

Hi Brian,
Thank you very much for your advise and suggestions. I'm about to setup Time Machine for the first time. I'm preparing my MacBook by moving files, etc. and making space for the Backup on one of my External Hard Drives.

I have been following several eBay auctions for the Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard. There are plenty on there and at quite good prices too. However, I must admit, I have got a little bit confused about what software &/or programs I'm going to need? After I've completed the Backup with Time Machine, then installed the new OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, do I need any other software / programs in order for my MacBook to be up and running again?
I know I will need to re-install Office and all of the other programs I currently use, but are there any additional programs or software I will need to buy & install besides them? I'm only asking because I contacted one of the sellers who said I am going to need other programs because the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard is just an upgrade and I will also need to get Lion. Is this correct Brian, please?

The Office Suite I have on my MacBook was already installed when I bought the computer last year. No installation discs for Office and the other programs were included with my purchase. Will I be able to re-install them from my External Hard Drive using Time Machine? Please excuse me if the answers are given in the Time Machine literature; I simply haven't had time to read any of it just yet...

Sincere thanks in anticipation...

Kind regards,
Nigel.
(By the way, I'm a Brit; I live in east Cleveland, on the north east coast of England.)

Bravenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
A note to Brian...

Hello again Brian,

Please disregard the above message I posted to you! I guess I really am tired and not thinking straight. Common sense has left the building...!

I am getting the Snow Leopard OS - hopefully tomorrow (UK time).
Will return to do an update when I've got it's all installed, unless of course, I come up against a hitch or two...

Kind regards,
Nigel - UK.

Bravenger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2012
OS X Snow Leopard bought. but need advice about my installed Office Suite, etc...

Hi guys,
I now have the OS X Snow Leopard and I'm ready to install it. I have made backup copies of the Applications folder, iTunes folder & the Library folder and have saved them on my Ext HD.

Due to the ongoing problems I've been experiencing with my HD I think it would be best to do a full, clean install of the new OS X Snow Leopard, but I don't have the original (or any other) discs for the installed programs such as OFFICE, which I use every day and are crucial for my work.

Question: Will I have the option to keep any current programs on my HD during the Full Install process? Or will I be able to re-install my programs through the Applications Folder I have saved and/or through Time Machine which is up to date and is running all the time now? If this isn't possible, should I just do an update instead of a full, clean install which I believe will allow me to keep most of my programs and settings?

I realise this is probably very basic to a lot of you guys & girls but it's been a long time since I've done any OS installs and they were on Windows PCs years ago. I can't afford to lose the programs and I have very little spare time to get this update completed.
I shall be very grateful for any help & guidance.

Many thanks in advance...
Nigel.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
If you're using time machine, then you don't need to copy the Applications folder, iTunes, etc.. to the external drive.

Setup time machine using the external drive.
Let time machine run and backup everything to the external drive.

Use the 10.6 disc to do a clean install.
When you start to make a new user, you can select 'import user from a time machine backup' or something to that extent.

Then it will copy over your account, programs, iTunes, etc to the fresh install.

That's probably the simplest way.

But in theory, what you've started to do will also work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.