Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
At the end of this year I'm supposed to be going on a 6 week trip to Israel with my school for some study we've been doing. The problem is I don't have any friends in the class that is going and only talk to a few of the people *sometimes* just in a friendly way. So I'm a bit nervous about going as I might get lonely or something seeing I'll be away from like 99.9% of my friends/relatives. I have a couple of friends in Israel so I guess I could also use the oppurtunity to catch up with them for one weekend or something.

What would you do if you were in my situation? Go or stay home? I'm asking now as they are finalising details and need to know who's going in like a week so not long to decide.

P.S. I don't know why I'm asking here, macrumors just seems to be full of people with more life experience then me...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Go. It is a chance to see another country and study its history in person. I think that you will bond with your fellow students as you will all be traveling to a different culture, etc.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Go. It is a chance to see another country and study its history in person. I think that you will bond with your fellow students as you will all be traveling to a different culture, etc.

This.

Go. You'll probably never get another opportunity like this again. You'll become friends with some of the people in the group- that's typically what happens when you're around the same people for an extended period of time.

Also, get a nice camera and take a lot of pictures.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Just be yourself and if its college I am sure you can easily talk to someone. You are adults after all.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Go and learn to be more independent and meet new friends.

Yeh, I guess I should, I need to step out of my comfort zone in order to move on with my life and become more independent. Thanks.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Well now you have the opportunity to get some life experience by going on this trip. Even from a financial perspective, I'm guessing your school is footing the majority, if not all, of the expenses right? Trips like this ain't cheap so, even if solely from a financial standpoint, it's a clear choice to go on this trip just for the sake of it being free or at reduced cost.

From a life experience perspective, this is a whole other world you're getting the opportunity to see, or see again. The fact that you're not close friends with those in your class shouldn't deter you from taking up this opportunity as you'll get out of whatever bubble you're in now and experience life in a whole other country. You'd have the chance to catch up with your friends there which should be reason enough for you to go. I'm not sure what you'll be doing over there but why not make it more interesting and catalog your time there? Takes notes or lots of pictures of places over there, taste the cuisines, meet the townsfolk etc. This is a great opportunity which you shouldn't pass up simply because you're a little timid around the people in your class.

Bottom line, were you not to go on this trip, what would you be doing for those 6 weeks? Excluding being around family/friends, I doubt anything else would be as appealing as traveling abroad. If I had the chance to do this, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I say go for it. You won't regret it.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Well now you have the opportunity to get some life experience by going on this trip. Even from a financial perspective, I'm guessing your school is footing the majority, if not all, of the expenses right? Trips like this ain't cheap so, even if solely from a financial standpoint, it's a clear choice to go on this trip just for the sake of it being free or at reduced cost.

From a life experience perspective, this is a whole other world you're getting the opportunity to see, or see again. The fact that you're not close friends with those in your class shouldn't deter you from taking up this opportunity as you'll get out of whatever bubble you're in now and experience life in a whole other country. You'd have the chance to catch up with your friends there which should be reason enough for you to go. I'm not sure what you'll be doing over there but why not make it more interesting and catalog your time there? Takes notes or lots of pictures of places over there, taste the cuisines, meet the townsfolk etc. This is a great opportunity which you shouldn't pass up simply because you're a little timid around the people in your class.

Bottom line, were you not to go on this trip, what would you be doing for those 6 weeks? Excluding being around family/friends, I doubt anything else would be as appealing as traveling abroad. If I had the chance to do this, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I say go for it. You won't regret it.

Thanks so much. This is looking at the whole thing from another perspective. I guess it shouldn't matter whether I have close friends in the group or not, it would still be enjoyable. I'll also take the cataloguing idea on board. Thanks again :D

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Just saying there will be plenty of more uncomfortable situations that you will have to put yourself through in the next few years.

I would go. Jump in at the deep end. Good or bad it’s still a good story at the end of the day.

What else would you do during those six weeks?

In that sort of situation you will probably find that some of the people that you didn’t consider your friends will become them.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Is this a serious question? :confused: Nut up and go!

In this kind of enclosed situation, where everyone will be sitting on the same, small bus, on a 6 week trip, eating at the same places, walking down the same streets, they WILL become your friends or acquaintance, and they WILL be friendly. You won't have the chance to just walk away. If you fart, they're going to have to smell it for like 5 minutes. :p

I'd still consider it an easy situation to make friends in.

Last edited:

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Go. I went on a 6 week trip to Italy when I was in college with fellow students I didn't know at all. Came back with a bunch of friends and girlfriend of 3 years.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
Who cares about the people going with you, you get to spend six weeks in a nation rich with an interesting history and culture. Enjoy your time there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.