Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I've had it with the 3.5" display and am upgrading to a HTC One X. Just wondering if I can keep my unlimited plan or whether that only works when sticking with an iPhone?

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX
Shouldn't have a problem. I go back and forth all the time and I've never even had to change my data plan. If its LTE you will have more problems cause of different SIM card but you can still kepe unlimited.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Thanks All. Here's something curious: When trying to purchase the HTC phone through Amazon ($50 cheaper than through AT&T) I only get to choose between two data plans. 3 or 5 GB. Clearly I don't want to loose my unlimited plan so am wondering what I should do?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks All. Here's something curious: When trying to purchase the HTC phone through Amazon ($50 cheaper than through AT&T) I only get to choose between two data plans. 3 or 5 GB. Clearly I don't want to loose my unlimited plan so am wondering what I should do?

Best to go to AT&T to buy it, that way the rep can let you uograde

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Best to go to AT&T to buy it, that way the rep can let you uograde

OK, the unlimited plan should be worth the extra $50 over Amazon.

I heard that AT&T throttles the unlimited plans now. Does anybody have details on this?

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I've had it with the 3.5" display and am upgrading to a HTC One X. Just wondering if I can keep my unlimited plan or whether that only works when sticking with an iPhone?

I'm in the same boat right now, strongly considering picking up the new htc. From my (limited) research, yes you can keep unlimited data, even ordering through amazon. You are forced to choose one of their data plans, but apparently you can call them up after ordering and they will put you back on unlimited. Seems a little sketch I know, probably why I haven't done it yet. But I have read other forums people had success so ymmv

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Is there a reason that I'm just not seeing here on why the funk this thread is in the iPhone section:confused: it has nothing to do with apple or iPhones , wtf , :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
Is there a reason that I'm just not seeing here on why the funk this thread is in the iPhone section:confused: it has nothing to do with apple or iPhones , wtf , :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

It has a lot to do with Apple and iPhone because as you can see from some of the responses above my question is also in the minds of other current iPhone users. It is especially pertinent in the light of current rumors that Apple does not plan to significantly increase the display size of the iPhone (only maybe to 4 inches).

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
OK, the unlimited plan should be worth the extra $50 over Amazon.

I heard that AT&T throttles the unlimited plans now. Does anybody have details on this?

With a non LTE data plan you'll be throttled after 3gb. With an LTE plan you'll be throttled after 5gb.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006

Thanks. It's amazing how hideously misleading the information on that site is. It makes the unlimited plan owner feel bad about being among the 5% of users who don't use more than 3 GB of data (that's the only reason one has an unlimited plan versus a limited one, so duh!). Then it claims an advantage in switching to a restricted plan by saying that in those plans there is no throttling. But there are only 3 GB and 5 GB plans and there isn't throttling up to that speed with the unlimited plan either!

What the site doesn't mention is HOW MUCH throttling happens when one hits the 3 GB (5 GB with the LTE phone).

At least one still gets 5 GB at full speed, which is cheaper than the 5 GB limited plan.

----------

I'm in the same boat right now, strongly considering picking up the new htc. From my (limited) research, yes you can keep unlimited data, even ordering through amazon. You are forced to choose one of their data plans, but apparently you can call them up after ordering and they will put you back on unlimited. Seems a little sketch I know, probably why I haven't done it yet. But I have read other forums people had success so ymmv

The big question is whether to get the Sprint version, the HTC Evo 4G LTE. It has an aluminum body (versus plastic), expandable memory, kickstand, and HD calling that the One X doesn't have. Also, Sprint offers unlimited data and 450 anytime minutes for $79.99.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Thanks. It's amazing how hideously misleading the information on that site is. It makes the unlimited plan owner feel bad about being among the 5% of users who don't use more than 3 GB of data (that's the only reason one has an unlimited plan versus a limited one, so duh!). Then it claims an advantage in switching to a restricted plan by saying that in those plans there is no throttling. But there are only 3 GB and 5 GB plans and there isn't throttling up to that speed with the unlimited plan either!

What the site doesn't mention is HOW MUCH throttling happens when one hits the 3 GB (5 GB with the LTE phone).

At least one still gets 5 GB at full speed, which is cheaper than the 5 GB limited plan.

----------

The big question is whether to get the Sprint version, the HTC Evo 4G LTE. It has an aluminum body (versus plastic), expandable memory, kickstand, and HD calling that the One X doesn't have. Also, Sprint offers unlimited data and 450 anytime minutes for $79.99.

You have fun on their network. Seriously though, the majority of your contract you'll be on 3G and not 4G LTE.

Sprint gets excellent phones but has a horrible network and T-Mobile has a very promising network but horrible phones.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
I realized that there's also a $50 tax advantage with Amazon, bringing the overall price decrease to $100. So I'll try to go the Amazon route and let y'all know how it works.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.

You sure can. I moved to an HTC vivid, and kept my unlimited plan. On a side note the old school texting plans became available to me again, which are no longer offered, so I settled on the (200 messages for $5 plan).

----------

I realized that there's also a $50 tax advantage with Amazon, bringing the overall price decrease to $100. So I'll try to go the Amazon route and let y'all know how it works.

Don't do Amazon, you will have a hell of a time trying to activate your unlimited plan, at least I did when I tried it. I finally gave up and returned the Amazon phone and bought it off of the ATT website.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
You sure can. I moved to an HTC vivid, and kept my unlimited plan. On a side note the old school texting plans became available to me again, which are no longer offered, so I settled on the (200 messages for $5 plan).

----------

Don't do Amazon, you will have a hell of a time trying to activate your unlimited plan, at least I did when I tried it. I finally gave up and returned the Amazon phone and bought it off of the ATT website.

I assumed you're correct and got it from the AT&T store. Amazing device, though it's quite a steep learning curve coming from a different OS. E.g., I have no idea how to get music and photos/videos onto it! Everything is less intuitive than iOS, but android seems less bland. The bigger and better display makes a huge difference.

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
I assumed you're correct and got it from the AT&T store. Amazing device, though it's quite a steep learning curve coming from a different OS. E.g., I have no idea how to get music and photos/videos onto it! Everything is less intuitive than iOS, but android seems less bland. The bigger and better display makes a huge difference.

I bought it online with att. I get all my music on google play, which synced with my iTunes account. Overall the OS is easy to learn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.