Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Ok, so I bought 2 USB cords from Amazon for $1 each. My Mom's USB cord is frayed and the inside wires are exposed. I figured what the heck. Can't go wrong for $1. Well, it isn't charging her 3GS. She is getting the yellow warning triangle and it says "Charging is not supported with this accessory". My iPhone 4 seems to charge fine with it. Is buying an aftermarket cord a hit or miss thing? Or is the cord defective? Can anyone recommend a good, inexpensive USB cable that works with the 3GS? Something I can get on Amazon if possible.

Thanks

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Try THESE. I have several of them.

Wow, thanks! The cord received rave reviews. But I don't know if I can trust my Mom with the kind you have to press to release :confused: I have a USB cord like it at work, so I am used to it, but I can see her ripping it out when she rushes out of the house :eek:

Actually, I checked my email and I did receive a reply from the seller and they are sending a replacement. I guess 1 of the 2 I received was defective. They are sending it out at no charge and without me sending the other back, so I'll wait for it. In the meantime, I'll give my Mom the one I have and hopefully that works for her.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
The Monoprice cables aren't press to release. I'm not sure where you saw that. They are the new, shorter style.

In the comments section. People mentioned the cord is a prong style. Look under Customer Reviews at the 2nd review. There are more with similar comments but this is the first one that mentions it.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Believe what you'd like. I own them. They are the new style unless thy have stealth-changed them. Try the black one on Monoprice.

Ok, I guess maybe there is more then one kind they ship out. I was just going by the most recent reviews....No biggie

carrieb96

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Maybe the cable IS working but the charge icon was hacked

After successfully using a non OEM charging system for more than a year on my iPhone3, a few days ago I got a message when transferring photos using the charger's cable saying "This is not Apple equipment." Since then my phone has never shown more than 2% charge no matter how long it's on which charger -- car, computer, or wall. Definite cause for concern!

Today, when I was trying to troubleshoot, I picked up a thread on another site suggesting I turn off the phone and turn it back on to find out how much charge I had. Ta da! 77% !!

I don't know how someone dropped a little bug in so my phone wouldn't show its charge (via Picasa perhaps? the only new photo feature on my machine), but I have to think this is a MacHack aimed at pushing me into the Apple store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.