Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackbauer686

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Hi,

I've been having problems with my iMac recently, more precisely with my DVD drive.

I think it's a software problem, and not a mechanical problem. Let me explain:

When I insert a DVD:
- it will sometimes work perfectly. I can read, burn or whatever I feel like…
- it will sometimes not work. I don't know why, but the drive gives a few try (mechanical noises), and than ejects the DVD. If I try a few more times to reinsert it, it will just keep the DVD and not eject it, without recognizing it. When I try to open the Disk Utility program, it will simply froze, or it will open after 5 minutes, but the DVD player will not exist and not appear.

I need to restart the computer. Sometimes it will work after the restart. Sometimes not. It's really random, and I haven't found out on what it depends… Sometimes, when I reboot the beast because of a trapped-unrecognized DVD, the DVD player won't open. "Initialization error [-70012]"…

I've tried Option-Cmd-P-R at the Start, but it didn't help… I feel like there's something wrong with the software.

It's a 2 years old iMac, up to date, using Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.8).

I've tried looking on the net, but a lot of people are experiencing mechanical problems (it simply never works), which I think is not the case here (it does randomly work perfectly).

Any help would be amazingly appreciated! Thank you! :)

PS: I'm new here, sorry if it isn't the right place to post. I posted here, because I think that it's a software problem, and not an "iMac problem"...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.