Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleTB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am after some advice as to features that are on the new Galaxy S3 and what the alternative is on :apple: iPhone 4S...

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call =
Smart Stay =
Smart Alert =
Social Tag =
S Beam =
All Share Play =
Buddy Photo Share =

If there isn't a direct alternative a similar alternative would be ok!! :)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am after some advice as to features that are on the new Galaxy S3 and what the alternative is on :apple: iPhone 4S...

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call =
Smart Stay =
Smart Alert =
Social Tag =
S Beam =
All Share Play =
Buddy Photo Share =

If there isn't a direct alternative a similar alternative would be ok!! :)

Direct call? Is that just, like, a normal phone call?

jcanewebber

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2012
Hi, First of all i think both phones have its own speciality, i love iPhones but i also love smart phones that can play Flash[swf]. I think s3 is more useful than 4s right now because android market offers alot of application which an iphone 4s has. when it comes to its hardware i can never compare since both of it are really reliable.

here are some informations and comparison i found on the internet.

Samsung Galaxy S3 compared to iPhone | Techyv.com

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.

But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?

Last edited:

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?

Shut up. Whatever Apple does = justified. Who could argue, it is Apple after all. The 2nd biggest company in the world.

mbell1975

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012

We all know Apple doesn't introduce any "new" features anymore. They just take all of Android's features, rename them and then try to pass them off as new. I am sure it will be added to ios7 (since Apple is always years behind current tech) but it will be called Face Calling.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.

Dont need to do that, but you can.

Enable lift to talk in Siri and just tell Siri to call the person after you bring the handset up.

I've been doing that since day one with my i4S

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
We all know Apple doesn't introduce any "new" features anymore. They just take all of Android's features, rename them and then try to pass them off as new. I am sure it will be added to ios7 (since Apple is always years behind current tech) but it will be called Face Calling.

Oh get over it. Seriously who cares. Android isn't a ground breaking innovator either.

My favorite analogy, it's like others cars after ford put in a handle also. Boo frickin hoo.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
im definitely interested in trying out the s3, it looks like a sweet device. i bought a nexus directly from google a while back, but returned... the wifi was horrible. i hope the s3 will at least be on par with my 4s's wifi.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Who cares. Only android fanboys say that about apple products. Lol.

I don't see any denial of the double standard placed on Apple products versus the competition.

You just don't see that sort of behavior with Android fans as frequently or fervently as you do with Apple fans. Not necessarily only you, Monkeylui, but you see it all the time from others: If Apple copies the competition, they're "just adopting industry standards." But if someone else copies Apple, they're copycats and can't innovate.

The Galaxy SIII is the perfect example of this. All everyone could talk about was how S-Voice is Siri, and it is, but everyone failed to notice Smart Stay, direct-dial, or wireless charging, or pop-up play, or tilt-to-scroll, etc. -- all of which are novel for smartphones or at the very least not copied from Apple. If Apple had introduced these features first, we'd all be in an uproar over how Apple is pushing the frontiers again. But not Samsung?

I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users tend to be about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works." You just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users tend to be about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works." You just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.

I think a lot of this is because a lot of Android fans are phone specific. Like someone will like HTC phones and not have problem saying a Samsung phone is a flimsy piece of junk (that's just an example).

On Android central you rarely see people talking about the iPhone because they will argue to more direct competition which is another Android device. If you already like Android and you are debating between the One X and SIII what is the puny iPhone going to being to the tablet?

Hence why you don't see anywhere near as many iPhone threads on Android forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Hence why you don't see anywhere near as many iPhone threads on Android forums.

Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.

Ding Ding Ding!

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

It's pretty funny that you say this. Reading these threads, the only insecurity I see are iPhone users trying to justify how great the 4s is. When the facts are show the iphone 4S is slower, lacking in features and that the ICS OS is smoother than iOS, the last things we hear from the Apple fans is, "Well, my iphone has better resale value" or "Yeah, but my screen is retina" or finally "iOS developrs get paid more".

I enjoy reading it all, even if it does make me pity you, at least I get a good chuckle in.

Cingular

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2011
It's pretty funny that you say this. Reading these threads, the only insecurity I see are iPhone users trying to justify how great the 4s is. When the facts are show the iphone 4S is slower, lacking in features and that the ICS OS is smoother than iOS, the last things we hear from the Apple fans is, "Well, my iphone has better resale value" or "Yeah, but my screen is retina" or finally "iOS developrs get paid more".

I enjoy reading it all, even if it does make me pity you, at least I get a good chuckle in.

:rolleyes:

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Ding Ding Ding!

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Ditto...

For me, I prefer the iPhone over androids, but that is just me. Care-less about which one is so called better as long as I'm happy with my choice, and wish the android community would just give it a break because their ranting will not change my mind. I look at the product, and how it works in my daily needs and go from there as to which one I prefer

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia

The feature is already there. If you are chatting via messages, you can scroll all the way to the top of the chat and the button is there to call the person you are messaging.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
My favorite analogy, it's like others cars after ford put in a handle also. Boo frickin hoo.
My favorite is what Bill Gates said to Steve Jobs once - "Steve, all cars have steering wheels, but no one tries to claim that the steering wheel was their invention."

SJ was the most INSECURE Apple fanboy of all when it came against Android.

If you are fanboy, it cuts both ways. Just internet trolls on both sides debating over a frickin' cell phone that gets replaced every few years. Nobody is going change anyone's minds and why bother, right? Android are talking crap about other Android phones and the iPhony. The iPhone fans are talking crap about Android's fragmentation, lag, or whatever sounds like a broken record debate. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Then the fluff and reassurance threads I see praising their current phones like they were patting themselves on the back for it. Gosh, I love my iPhone! Yipee! Messageboards represents very little of the actual consumers out there. They are not as vocal or as OCD in real life than the crap we read on the net.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
I think that the existence of several mobile operating systems (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc) is good to all the operating systems. They can learn from one another and they can push one another for development.

Which mobile phone to use is up to the person that uses the phone. Some may demand the state-of-art hardware, some may demand the best user experience, some may demand the best build quality, some may demand a huge number of features, and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.