Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbowden07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Hello everyone, i'm new to the site, so hopefully i'm posting in the right section, if not forgive me :)

I have recently bought an original Macintosh 128k M0001, it came today and found out, after some research, it has a Dove MacSnap Memory & scsi upgrade.
sany0106e.jpg

What i need help with is how to remove the Dove Macsnap Expansion, both the scsi expansion & memory expspansion. I basically want it in the original 128k condition.

Also, my second question is, when i turn it on, the screen is a white/ grey pattern for like 5 seconds, then i goes to the "?" floppy logo. Why is their a hesitation? is it warming up or what? :confused:

Thanks for the help! :D

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
The flashing question-mark means that there is no usable software to boot off of whatever you do don't destroy it like I did mine. The computer is fine you just have to find software like 1.1 or something. But considering that it took me 2 years to find a copy of puma software that is only 10 years old and you want to find software that is 30 years old good luck

jbowden07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
The flashing question-mark means that there is no usable software to boot off of whatever you do don't destroy it like I did mine. The computer is fine you just have to find software like 1.1 or something. But considering that it took me 2 years to find a copy of puma software that is only 10 years old and you want to find software that is 30 years old good luck

I know that about the "?" mark, i'm not new to vintage tech, i have a Mac512k, MacSE, and lots of others :D I also have older software for the mac because my mac512k was my mom's college computer and have tons of software for it and some 128k compatible. What i was asking is, instead of turning it on, and going straight to that screen, it goes to a grey screen then that screen, it hesitates, unlike my 512k, and how to remove the dove macsnap memory upgrade, i want it to the original 128k.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
From what I know the macsnap just clipped on from spring loaded clips over the original ram

----------

oh and I just remembered steve jobs built that thing like a brick and inside every 128k was the signatures of the entire mac team. And never wanted anybody but technicians in there. anyways when you open it if its realy there post pics of the signatures.

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
There are two boards involved. One adds a SCSI port, the other additional RAM.

You'll need to disassemble the case, taking care to feed the SCSI cable that sits in the battery bay back into the case as you remove the rear case.

Next, (IIRC), unplug the SCSI cable from the SCSI board before removing the motherboard. Take EXTRA care not to whack the rear of the tube and/or neck board when the cable releases.

The two boards essentially "clip" on the original logic board. Swap the ROM chips from the smaller SCSI board back into the 128K motherboard. There should be one extra wire from the SCSI board which either clips or is soldered to Pin 8 of the "TSM" PAL chip at motherboard location "D1".

IIRC, the memory upgrade board should just unclip from the CPU and about 4 or 5 smaller ICs. Lifting the memory upgrade gradually, prizing by a small amount around the edges equally should eventually pop it from the motherboard.

You will also need a new battery bay cover (unless you still have the original that was saved when the upgrade was done). It's not vital, but finishes the "look" of the rear.

IIRC, the longer boot time is due to POST taking longer to test the extra memory.

After removal, you should probably check the +5 volt adjustment is within spec.

This page should reveal SOME of what you can expect to see.

http://www.vintagemacworld.com/macsnap.html

Last edited:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I would simply sell this Mac and buy another 128K. I think the model you have, with a SCSI card, is more desirable and I'm sure someone would like to have it. I wish my Mac 512k had a SCSI port on it! :)

This also takes the risk out of hurting your Mac (or yourself by touching the CRT) while trying to remove the SCSI & RAM additions. Why not keep it? The extra RAM is great, I wouldn't want to take RAM out of an old Mac, they need all of the RAM you can get your hands on! :)

Good luck!

-Steve

jbowden07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
I would simply sell this Mac and buy another 128K. I think the model you have, with a SCSI card, is more desirable and I'm sure someone would like to have it. I wish my Mac 512k had a SCSI port on it! :)

This also takes the risk out of hurting your Mac (or yourself by touching the CRT) while trying to remove the SCSI & RAM additions. Why not keep it? The extra RAM is great, I wouldn't want to take RAM out of an old Mac, they need all of the RAM you can get your hands on! :)

Good luck!

-Steve

Well, i kind of getting used to the idea of the upgrade, still not sure. The main reason why i wanted it gone is because the modded battery door doesn't fit flush, it bulges a bit, i might just tuck the scsi in the battery compartment, then put the original battery door on, so it looks normal, and if i need it it will be there

There are two boards involved. One adds a SCSI port, the other additional RAM.

You'll need to disassemble the case, taking care to feed the SCSI cable that sits in the battery bay back into the case as you remove the rear case.

Next, (IIRC), unplug the SCSI cable from the SCSI board before removing the motherboard. Take EXTRA care not to whack the rear of the tube and/or neck board when the cable releases.

The two boards essentially "clip" on the original logic board. Swap the ROM chips from the smaller SCSI board back into the 128K motherboard. There should be one extra wire from the SCSI board which either clips or is soldered to Pin 8 of the "TSM" PAL chip at motherboard location "D1".

IIRC, the memory upgrade board should just unclip from the CPU and about 4 or 5 smaller ICs. Lifting the memory upgrade gradually, prizing by a small amount around the edges equally should eventually pop it from the motherboard.

You will also need a new battery bay cover (unless you still have the original that was saved when the upgrade was done). It's not vital, but finishes the "look" of the rear.

IIRC, the longer boot time is due to POST taking longer to test the extra memory.

After removal, you should probably check the +5 volt adjustment is within spec.

This page should reveal SOME of what you can expect to see.

http://www.vintagemacworld.com/macsnap.html

Thanks for the instruction on how to do it, i really appreciate it! ;)

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Well, i kind of getting used to the idea of the upgrade, still not sure. The main reason why i wanted it gone is because the modded battery door doesn't fit flush, it bulges a bit, i might just tuck the scsi in the battery compartment, then put the original battery door on, so it looks normal, and if i need it it will be there

Thanks for the instruction on how to do it, i really appreciate it! ;)

Despite your desire to "go original", which I wholely understand, I have to agree with LimeiBook86. If it's working reliably, it may be better to leave it fitted.

I used to find the memory upgrade boards unreliable in their fit, since the connectors didn't always seem to mate snugly with different manufacturers ICs. However, if it IS working and is stable, perhaps it is better to leave it. As LimeiBook86 says, you WILL appreciate the extra RAM. :)

The SCSI board never suffered the same problem as it plugged into the ROM sockets, though I often soldered the wire rather than use the clip.

Last edited:

jbowden07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2012
Despite your desire to "go original", which I wholely understand, I have to agree with LimeiBook86. If it's working reliably, it may be better to leave it fitted.

I used to find the memory upgrade boards unreliable in their fit, since the connectors didn't always seem to mate snugly with different manufacturers ICs. However, if it IS working and is stable, perhaps it is better to leave it. As LimeiBook86 says, you WILL appreciate the extra RAM. :)

The SCSI board never suffered the same problem as it plugged into the ROM sockets, though I often soldered the wire rather than use the clip.

Very well put. I think i'm changing my opinion some... i want an original state Macintosh 128k for my collection, but having an upgraded 128k is pretty neat also. Plus to, the floppy has been upgraded to an 800k drive, and i can't seem to find an 400k drive for sale online. More than likely i leave it alone, but i atleast want to get a new case back for it since it's scratched some.

I probably leave the upgrade where it is, and just get another 128k already un-upgraded someday. :cool:

Since i'm thinking of keeping the Expansion, what kind of external scsi hard drives will work with it?

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
... Since i'm thinking of keeping the Expansion, what kind of external scsi hard drives will work with it?

Pretty much any, but more likely passive termination, SCSI narrow 50Pin for the drive, (SCSI-1 or SCSI-2), with "unit-attention" disabled, IIRC.

But don't be spooked by that. The 25pin SCSI connector is the same pinout found on the MacPlus and every on-board SCSI Mac thereafter. An external SCSI drive with a DB-25 or Centronics 50 Pin connector should do the job. :)

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland

Finding 80's Mac Software is incredibly easy thankfully. You can get any OS you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.