Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handyman130

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
I want to use the wep feature on my wireless router to boost my security (from zero) I have figured out how to do it administratively with the router (D-Link 108) What steps do I take for the ibook itself....??? I have OX10.5 Tiger.... Still getting used to the the new OS, as I am a Windows convert.

Thanks!

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
It's 10.4 Tiger, first of all.

Second, just try accessing http://192.168.1.1 in Safari to get to the router settings. You could be able to enable security in there!

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
I think your asking about the filevault feature.

Apple Help (command-?)
Mac OS X includes FileVault, which allows you to encrypt the information in your home folder. Encryption scrambles the data in your home folder so that your information is secure if your computer is lost or stolen.
WARNING: If you turn on FileVault and then forget both your login password and your master password, you will not be able to log in to your account and your data will be lost forever.

System Prefs-->Security->Set Master Password, FileVault, Require Password to Wake computer, Etc... as you see fit.

Note: If you loose your password you can not reset it.

More to follow.

Attachments

• indextop20050412.jpg
    indextop20050412.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 274

rinseout

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2004
Eniregnat said:
Note: If you loose (sic) your password you can not reset it.
...just to follow on with this, if your computer is set to ask for your pwd on Wake and Login and you don't set it to something insane, the odds of forgetting your password after using it for a week are pretty slim.... YMMV. You're more likely to forget the "master password" that you can set since you'll probably never use it. (So it might be worth writing it down and keeping it someplace safe).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.