Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OJStudios

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2012
London
Hi chaps, we are in the process of building a CAD app for the iPad and wanted to get some feedback from this community.

For those that are using CAD (any supplier) on their iPad, what are your major gripes with it? And maybe what are the best things about it?

oh, and what are you using it for? Are you a real estate agent, architect, student, furniture designer?

Hopefully its a useful discussion because we will try and respond from our point of view on your opinions and maybe all learn a bit in the process.

Thanks!:)

sambredeson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Chicago, IL (Oak Park)
Hi chaps, we are in the process of building a CAD app for the iPad and wanted to get some feedback from this community.

For those that are using CAD (any supplier) on their iPad, what are your major gripes with it? And maybe what are the best things about it?

oh, and what are you using it for? Are you a real estate agent, architect, student, furniture designer?

Hopefully its a useful discussion because we will try and respond from our point of view on your opinions and maybe all learn a bit in the process.

Thanks!:)

I am a PhD student in biomedical engineering, and while I don't currently use a CAD app for my iPad, I would really like to. The main eason I don't already is that I haven't found one that looks like it offers what I need. Tha being said, tins I would look for (and need to see before paying money for an app) would be:
- true 3D editing (a la AutoCAD, Unigraphics, SolidWorks, etc. less powerful is acceptable, but it needs to be able to view and edit real 3D models.)
- capable of importing the file types of every other major CAD program. Most of the apps available now can only import one or two file types, if any.
- effective file exporting to a variety of services, such as email, Dropbox, printing (printing to an actual engineering draft format would be a huge bonus!), and saving to photo library.

I understand that this is a pretty tall order, but if you published an app with all (or even most) of the things above, I would be willing to pay pretty well for it, and I bet others would, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.