Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
Im trying to find a device that moves my comcast xfinity free movies from my imac over to my tv.Im not interested in purchasing films because of my economic status and i have the most basic tier with only local channels from comcast.I noticed that in my Xfinity account there are lots of movies offered free to watch on my Imac but I cant view them on my samsung 55 8500 tv.Im looking for a device that will wirelessly send these movies from my Imac over to the tv .Wondered if Apple tv would do this for me? thanks

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
No. AppleTV is a closed system where unless there is an app provided by Apple to view the Xfinity content there is no way to access those movies from the AppleTV.

You have two options I believe. First, run a video cable from the iMac to the TV and use the TV as a second monitor to view the files. Second, wait until Mountain Lion OS is released, which will allow you to mirror your iMac desktop wirelessly to the AppleTV. I'm not sure if there will be an DRM issues with that latter setup, but those would be the only ways to get the content on your TV with your current setup. (A final option is buy a Mac Mini and connect it to the TV directly).

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Thanks,wonder if a streaming box exists that would do this?

With Mountain Lion, one of the features will be mirroring your Desktop display to your Apple TV

If you're willing to wait for the release, and then invest the 99 for a new AppleTV, it will probably be the closest thing you get to a streaming solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.