Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
Agh.

I signed up to iTunes Match the other day, and have had absolutely no luck with getting it to work at all yet, despite numerous attempts. It seems I'm far from being the only one judging from lots of people with the same issue on Apple's discussion forums.

If Apple have some problem with this service they should really just let people know before spending the money.

This is what happened:

-It 'gathers information' and sends it to Apple.

-It gets to 'waiting for your iTunes Match results'

-Then you get an error message like this:

dNLBy.jpg

"We could not complete your iTunes Store request.
An unknown error occurred (4001).

There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later."

So then I try later again. And later again... and later again... etc.

The standard suggested solution involves holding down the option key and choosing 'Turn iTunes Match Off' in the Store menu, then turning it back on (incidentally, I have no idea what the option key is supposed to do, the menu title doesn't change or anything). This seems to do the trick for some people.

This hasn't worked for me. Neither has emptying the iTunes cache, trying to upload individual tracks or small batches manually instead, deauthorizing and reauthorizing my computer...

It just seems to be broken. And it cost me £21.99. Not happy. One of the most un-Apple-like purchases I've ever made so far.

So anyone got any other ideas on this? Same thing happening to anyone else here?

brianus

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2005
Same here. I tried it on my main library (~10,000 songs) and got these results, about ten times between last night and this afternoon. Then I tried it on another computer, off site, with one song in the library, just to see if that would make a difference -- no dice, same error (at least it didn't take as long with just one song, though).

I'm wondering if this is some temporary issue on their servers. Though a Google search reveals this has been a persistent problem for some people since iTunes Match was released, there seems to have been a spike of complaints about the 4001 error in just the past couple days.

SharkTrager

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Error 4001

I'm having the exact same thing and have been speaking to Apple Service line. They can only suggest the old 'turn off Match holding the option key and turn it on again" or turning the laptop on and off again!! Sounds like there's a spate of this issue today so perhaps Apple is experiencing issues internally. :mad:

If anyone finds a solution - PLEEEASE let us know.

Thanks

Shark

Porco

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 28, 2005
OK, update: I just tried (for probably the 80th time or something) and it added one album to iCloud! Success! It's also including my past iTunes purchases in the number I have available.

Fingers crossed, I'm going to try some more.

I'm still a little underwhelmed that this took days before working, but hopefully it's going to be ok from now on...

So maybe just keep trying to add a few tracks to start it off brainus and SharkTrager and anyone else reading this who's had no luck so far... hope you have some success with it soon too.

I think it must be them, not us.

I'll be happy when I've upgraded some of my older tracks to 256kbps (all legit, but I have some sub-200k MP3s I bought years ago that should see a good improvement and will be worth the fee alone compared to what iTunes Plus upgrades would have cost).

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
My iTunes match has to upload 8000 songs but keeps going on an endless cycle.

It goes through all three stages each time and then either takes so long to upload or just gives a 4001 error during uploading and then starts the cycle again.

I would be great to be able to choose songs manually to upload and to skip to specific steps also. I will try the advice given here.

Many thanks.

ianwuk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.