Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hey guys,

Can you imagine that?

Yesterday, I discovered quite a big speck of dust under the glass of my iPad 3 (bought in April 2012). It wasn't there before and I am very sure about it, as I always tend to baby my Apple products.

35a3asw.jpg

Considering the fact that I also have a very slow Wi-Fi connection on this iPad (in comparison to my iPhone 4 and iPad 2), I had decided to give Apple a call. When the Apple employee heard about that nasty speck of dust, he immediately told me that my iPad will be picked up by UPS tomorrow and that I will receive another one (he said: "most probably, you will receive a new unit".)
Now, I need to send this iPad back without accessories and original box.

Does it mean that I am going to receive a refurbished unit back? (a unit that had been used by someone else and returned to Apple)

Does anyone have experience with this kind of returns?
I am a little bit worried... :(

By the way, I am from the Netherlands.

Last edited:

Nevzorus

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2012
": "most probably, you will receive a new unit".)"

There's your answer. The refurbished iPad 3rd gens have not been made yet!

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
": "most probably, you will receive a new unit".)"

There's your answer. The refurbished iPad 3rd gens have not been made yet!

I hope so. But how will they handle the warranty?

I suppose the new unit will have another serial number. Does it mean that I will have again 12 months warranty instead of 10 months? How does it work?

Kralledr

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
I Changed 2 iPad "3" and got refubished One , i dont think you will get a New One , but refubished is ok ;)

----------

I hope so. But how will they handle the warranty?

I suppose the new unit will have another serial number. Does it mean that I will have again 12 months warranty instead of 10 months? How does it work?

Off course Not :D the warranty will be 10 months

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
I Changed 2 iPad "3" and got refubished One , i dont think you will get a New One , but refubished is ok ;)

----------

Off course Not :D the warranty will be 10 months

Thanks for your reply.
But how can you know that you get a refurbished one? Will the serial number be the same as my old iPad? (if it will, then the warranty will also be 10 months)
I am not so excited to get a refurbished unit, I hope I will get a new device.

Kralledr

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Belive me or Not the refubished are Perfect you get a New battery and the outershell is New and the unit is checked before shipped , i like more refubished units :)

The serial will Start dk....

The serial will be different but you will Not get again 1 Year warranty if now you have 10 months left you will get 10 months

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Belive me or Not the refubished are Perfect you get a New battery and the outershell is New and the unit is checked before shipped , i like more refubished units :)

The serial will Start dk....

Thank you so much!
As soon as I get a new iPad, I will check its serial number.

I also know that it is quite difficult and cumbersome to open and repair an iPad, so I hoped that Apple would just give away new iPads as a replacement.
We will see! It's good to know that your unit works perfectly and that it is in fact a refurbished one. ;)

Kralledr

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Thank you so much!

I also know that it is quite difficult and cumbersome to open and repair an iPad, so I hoped that Apple would just give away new iPads as a replacement.
We will see! It's good to know that your unit works perfectly and that it is in fact a refurbished one. ;)

I was Same you "i dont whant refubsihed" Because i was scary it will be used Scratches etc ..

But dont worry i am more happy Because refubished Units get checked before you get it :) and it Look. New Because New outershell

Enlightenment1

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2012
I'm afraid to be the bearer of bad news, but my replacement iPad 3 was worse than the one I sent back. I do believe these are ones that others have sent back but which Apple deem as fine. This is just my opinion though.

Others have got replacements which have been fine. Yours might well be too. I really hope so :)

Keep us posted.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Refurb units are essentially new, they are checked over and checked to make sure it conforms and performs like new. I've had several refurb units (6th gen nano, iPod video, iPod shuffle, 2g nano, 2nd gen iPad) and I've never had a problem with them.

That being said..lif you really want a new one you could go to the apple store and see what they can do for you.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Thanks for your reply.
But how can you know that you get a refurbished one? Will the serial number be the same as my old iPad? (if it will, then the warranty will also be 10 months)
I am not so excited to get a refurbished unit, I hope I will get a new device.

Dude, Apple will change your warranty on their computers over to your new serial number. Stop going on about the warranty, you want a llonger waranty? buy AppleCare.

----------

Thank you so much!

It's only difficult for US who don't have the right tools, facepalm, it's easy as hell for Apple, they made the damn thing.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Thanks for your replies, guys! I will definitely keep you posted on this one. I really hope that the new unit will be perfect.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I was Same you "i dont whant refubsihed" Because i was scary it will be used Scratches etc ..

But dont worry i am more happy Because refubished Units get checked before you get it :) and it Look. New Because New outershell
I think "remanufactured" might be a better term for them, since they come with a brand new outer shell and a brand new battery.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Hey guys,

Can you imagine that?

Yesterday, I discovered quite a big speck of dust under the glass of my iPad 3 (bought in April 2012). It wasn't there before and I am very sure about it, as I always tend to baby my Apple products.

Considering the fact that I also have a very slow Wi-Fi connection on this iPad (in comparison to my iPhone 4 and iPad 2), I had decided to give Apple a call. When the Apple employee heard about that nasty speck of dust, he immediately told me that my iPad will be picked up by UPS tomorrow and that I will receive another one (he said: "most probably, you will receive a new unit".)
Now, I need to send this iPad back without accessories and original box.

Does it mean that I am going to receive a refurbished unit back? (a unit that had been used by someone else and returned to Apple)

Does anyone have experience with this kind of returns?
I am a little bit worried... :(

By the way, I am from the Netherlands.

I hope you get a new one.

However, every time I've had to replace an iPhone Apple has always told me I'll get a new unit -- but I've always gotten refurbished.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
In another thread the Apple Store told the user that she would get a refurb and when she posted her serial number it shows New.

Refurb iPad's tend to start with DK in the serial number. There's also another thread where you can check your serial number.

Kralledr

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2012
Dont make the op Crazy Guys ...

A refubished Unit is Perfect you cant See any difference Because you get a New outershell and battery

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Hey guys,

I have just received a new iPad in a "nice" brown box. :( Well, I am a little bit disappointed because I sent my original iPad to Apple in its amazingly looking retail box. And this is what I get as a replacement.

I haven't tested the uni yet, but will do it in the coming days.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
Hey guys,

I have just received a new iPad in a "nice" brown box. :( Well, I am a little bit disappointed because I sent my original iPad to Apple in its amazingly looking retail box. And this is what I get as a replacement.

I haven't tested the uni yet, but will do it in the coming days.

They generally expect that you'll keep the original packaging which is why they don't bother with the replacement. My first iPad had a stray bit of milled aluminum in the microSIM slot so I brought it in for a replacement and they just brought out a new one in its plastic sheath - not even a brown box.

Jmouse

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
They generally expect that you'll keep the original packaging which is why they don't bother with the replacement. My first iPad had a stray bit of milled aluminum in the microSIM slot so I brought it in for a replacement and they just brought out a new one in its plastic sheath - not even a brown box.

Does all new iPad 3rd gen with serial number starting with DK indicates its a refurbished unit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.