Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
As title suggests, can you use an unlocked CDMA iphone on a Straight Talk AT&T SIM?

Just bought an unlocked 4s thinking it would work, but can't get the SIM to take...is it possible?? Thanks for any help

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Verizon and Sprint will only allow a phone purchased from them to be used on their network.

The only type of unlock that they offer is an "international" unlock, allowing you to use a non-US SIM in the phone.

As such, I don't think that you'd be able to use a US carrier's SIM in the iPhone.

I'm not sure about iPhones sold by smaller CDMA carriers.

Do you know which carrier the phone was locked to?

Last edited:

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
It was a Verizon phone, unlocked with gevey sim method. Guy I bought it from was using a TMO sim (gsm) so I thought it'd work. Major my bad moment. It's weird, I got the phone to read the sim and even got data working, but couldn't get SMS to work...oh well, guess no choice but to resell and try to get my $ back :-/

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Just in case anyone wanted to know - this IS possible with the new gevey sim ultra s unlock. I have a Verizon 4s working with my straight talk service right now :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It was a Verizon phone, unlocked with gevey sim method. Guy I bought it from was using a TMO sim (gsm) so I thought it'd work. Major my bad moment.
Nope. Read the post above yours again. Sprint and Verizon will only unlock for international use. They don't use Gevey which is an entirely different unlock method (helps to include such details in your OP).

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Nope. Read the post above yours again. Sprint and Verizon will only unlock for international use. They don't use Gevey which is an entirely different unlock method (helps to include such details in your OP).

That's what I'm saying, though - that post was wrong. It is a Verizon phone, unlocked by a new Gevey sim called Gevey Ultra S unlock. CDMA phone unlocked to work with American GSM (i.e. Straight Talk). I have it up and running 100%, voice, 3g data, sms, mms, iMessage, etc.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
My post was referring to official unlocks.

A "Gevey SIM" is a device that you put into a locked iPhone.

Your post was misleading because you said that you bought an "unlocked CDMA phone", not a locked phone with an unlocking device.

If you take the Gevey SIM out of the device, it'll be locked.

If you update the device, the Gevey SIM may stop working.

Sunsean

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
My post was referring to official unlocks.

A "Gevey SIM" is a device that you put into a locked iPhone.

Your post was misleading because you said that you bought an "unlocked CDMA phone", not a locked phone with an unlocking device.

If you take the Gevey SIM out of the device, it'll be locked.

If you update the device, the Gevey SIM may stop working.

Gotcha, I see the distinction now, sorry. Yes, it is only unlocked via the Gevey sim, without it it's just a Verizon phone. Sorry about the poor wording. Aware of the update issues, will probably be screwed when io6 drops :-/ At least until they figure it out (if they do). For now it is working, thinking about selling it and buying a regular AT&T version...plus I think with an AT&T model I would get faster speeds (HSPA+). Unsure though because it is working flawlessly right now.

Vheetneyx

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
Going to attempt...

Just in case anyone wanted to know - this IS possible with the new gevey sim ultra s unlock. I have a Verizon 4s working with my straight talk service right now :)

I have a Verizon blacklisted IMEI iPhone 4s and understand I cant use it on Verizon...what Gevey Sim Ultra S unlock SIM would I need to get in order to use it on Straight Talk? The ultra S GSM or Ultra S or CDMA? Any possible issues I might come across?

osnapitsjoey

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2012
yo how did you get the verizon to work with straighttalk? can you pm me if you get a chance man im trying to get a cdma working with straightalk too and im having trouble

Unknown ID

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Using Verizon CDMA HTC Incedible with Straight Talk

My daughter wants to give me her old phone. Can I carry that phone into Walmart and get it set up for the Straight Talk pre-paid plan for unlimited everything for $45 per month? TIA

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lol:D
Hey as long as she's using an iphone now:D
I wish I had any clue if the verizon HTC Incredible can be unlocked for GSM use.
Does it even have a sim slot? Can verizon or another 3rd party seller unlock it?
Maybe others here know more.

The original Incredible was not a world phone. CDMA only radio so no SIM card slot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.