Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BDeeb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2005
Omaha, NE
I'm buying a new powerbook 15inch 1.67 today and I'd like to max out the RAM. Apple RAM is expensive as crap, so I found a 3rd party site that has a powerbook garauntee on its RAM, it's the right stuff, I've researched. A few questions. Should I take the set 512 RAM I get, and take it out and buy two 1GB sticks, or pay way more to get Apples 1 slot 1gb stick so I'm not throwing away a perfectly good stick of 512 RAM? If so, would mixing RAM from Apple and a 3rd party mess up my computer? Also, do you think I could upgrade the RAM myself (if I can find out how to do it online or something), or would I be better to take it in to a shop and have someone charge me to do it?
Thanks,
Ben

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
It's user-upgradable. the little door on the bottom of your PB in the dead center. Unscrew that, install ram, rescrew, done.

If you can't afford 2-1 Gig sticks, you could always just get one 1-gig, and sell the 512 when you get the cash to upgrade.

Like in the Macrumors Marketplace

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.