Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barebackbadger8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2009
Wolverhampton, UK
Really annoying me now.
In the mac app store i have "2" updates, imovie and iphoto..
Now i dont use either of them but dont want to uninstall them either
So is there a way to stop the app store looking for updates or even stop it displaying the number of updates icon

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
It's always shown updates, at least for as long as I can recall.

Why not just apply the updates? It you don't want to delete the apps then they're worth updating. IMO.

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
I realize that you don't necessarily want to remove the apps, but by removing them, you won't have the Mac AppStore automatically suggest that there are updates for those software applications. Nice thing about the Mac AppStore is that you can always reinstall the app at a later date and when you reinstall it, it will be the latest and greatest version.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I realize that you don't necessarily want to remove the apps, but by removing them, you won't have the Mac AppStore automatically suggest that there are updates for those software applications. Nice thing about the Mac AppStore is that you can always reinstall the app at a later date and when you reinstall it, it will be the latest and greatest version.

Even if that app is no longer available in the MAS??

cmdrmac

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
IA, USA
Even if that app is no longer available in the MAS??

Unfortunately no. I should have clarified that in my earlier post. You can only redownload an app on the Mac AppStore as long as it is still available on the Mac AppStore. If the app was banned or pulled from sale, you will no longer be able to download it.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
Just apply the updates.
Since you stated you don't want to uninstall the apps from your Mac, there must be an underlying reason. Should you decide at some point in the future to use the apps, they will at least be the current version if the updates are applied.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
iPhoto updates are usually necessary to keep compatibility with the OS and cameras. That would be best to keep updated. If a future paid version comes out they may take off your version.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I do not understand the logic behind what you are wanting to do.

Sounds like the OP simply doesn't want to update certain apps. I feel that way sometimes; maybe I heard about a bug in the latest update, or the update removes a feature that's important to me, or the update changes a UI that I'm currently comfortable with, or maybe I just don't feel like it right now.

I don't think you can stop the MAS from showing the availability of an update, but if seeing it bothers you in any way, you could at least remove the icon from the dock.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I've often wondered this as I stayed on Snow Leopard for 10 months after Lion's release. Some apps would be updated, now requiring Lion. I couldn't apply the updates, but my MAS icon showed the red badge of discouragement anyway. Obviously problem went away when I made the unfortunate decision to upgrade to Lion.

samdalton

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
App store updates

I do not understand the logic behind what you are wanting to do.

I think the issue is one of choice. With battery life and data usage limited I don't want the choice to search for updates continually without choice is annoying. It is not the fact that apps should not be updated it is choosing when at a convenient time at home on wifi while charging is the ideal time. I wan the choice is this possible to switch update searching off and on when time and place is optimal.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think the issue is one of choice. With battery life and data usage limited I don't want the choice to search for updates continually without choice is annoying. It is not the fact that apps should not be updated it is choosing when at a convenient time at home on wifi while charging is the ideal time. I wan the choice is this possible to switch update searching off and on when time and place is optimal.

^^This, I am on a limited Internet, actually it is unlimited but after 3 GB it gets throttled down to 128 Mb, not only that it also closed the active port after 2 MB so Apple's downloads won't work or won't work well.

It's even worse, I was in another country a while ago, downloaded iPhoto manually and updated, it's version 9.4.2 and it still shows me the 9.4.2 update????
I actually forced the update, Installer did not allow me, I used Pacifist to force install.

The App store is slow, closed and checks whole my computer which I don't like.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

Showing that there is an update and automatically installing the updates are two entirely different things. The first one happens the second does not. The update check is also not continual like you say it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.