Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danb77

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
One by one Apple seems to be updating all its software products today. I expect these firmware updates are in some sort of queue….

macneubie

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2011
ARS Technica mentioned the Power Nap feature will only work with Apple-built SSDs only. Third-party aftermarket SSDs, or Apple-installed SSDs (as a CTO) will not support PN.

Before you get too excited about Power Nap, you should know that it requires a "Mac notebook with built-in flash storage." According to Apple, this means the MacBook Air (Late 2010 or newer), the MacBook Pro with Retina display, and that's it. (Even then, it may require a firmware update.)

The SSD requirement makes sense when you consider that Power Nap also keeps the cooling fans turned off during DarkWake. A spinning hard drive executing a full Time Machine backup definitely needs some active cooling. Power Nap requires "built-in" SSD storage because solid-state drives meant to replace traditional spinning hard drives have very different power requirements. So even if your (non-Retina) MacBook Pro came from Apple with an SSD, Power Nap remains unsupported.

Last edited:

morsecp

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2010
Vermont, USA
I'm sure it will be resolved soon but this feature really barely exists at this point. Maybe they should put a note saying its not available yet. Also, none of the exhaustive reviews of ML i've read today make mention of the feature not working yet. In fact, they show screen shots of the Energy Saver pref pane options for Power Nap.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
If you use the spotlight search in System Preferences, you can see that "Power Nap" options are supposed to be in the Energy Saver section. I suspect it won't be long before the firmware update comes around...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.