Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
It's off by default, but is it imperative for security? I've been known to visit a site or two that doesn't exactly have harmless code. :p

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's off by default, but is it imperative for security? I've been known to visit a site or two that doesn't exactly have harmless code. :p

Yes, turn it on. Here are some other security tips:

1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
It's always surprised me it's turned off by default. Although I suspect it only monitors incoming connections not outgoing, meaning if you are behind a router using NAT without specific port forwarding then there's probably no real benefit anyway.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
One problem I seem to have is XMBC always asking for permission to accept incoming connections. No matter how many times I say yes (or no, for that matter) it asks me each time it starts. Adding the exception myself doesn't seem to help either.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One problem I seem to have is XMBC always asking for permission to accept incoming connections. No matter how many times I say yes (or no, for that matter) it asks me each time it starts. Adding the exception myself doesn't seem to help either.
That's been a continuing issue for some apps on some systems. You could try removing and adding it a few times, to see if that helps.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
That's been a continuing issue for some apps on some systems. You could try removing and adding it a few times, to see if that helps.

Thanks - do you mean removing the app from the system and reinstalling, or removing from the exception list?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks - do you mean removing the app from the system and reinstalling, or removing from the exception list?
From the firewall settings. Although, removing and reinstalling the app might do the trick, if the other method fails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.