Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tey112

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Lion and I have an iPhone. I can send someone a message from Messages on my Mac, but when they respond, it goes to my phone, and not the Messages app.

Any idea why that is happening?

Thanks

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I just upgraded to Mountain Lion from Lion and I have an iPhone. I can send someone a message from Messages on my Mac, but when they respond, it goes to my phone, and not the Messages app.

Any idea why that is happening?

Thanks

They are sending to your phonee number and not your email address. This is a well known/documented problem with iOS5 and will be fixed on iOS6 with address/phone number unification.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They are sending to your phonee number and not your email address. This is a well known/documented problem with iOS5 and will be fixed on iOS6 with address/phone number unification.

To expand on this a bit, just set it to go to both your number AND email address. That is what I did, and it works a treat.

Kcid

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
How to get all you iMessage devices working in unison

The secret is that the CALLER ID has to be the same on all devices and it CANNOT be a phone number (i.e. your Mac doesn't have a phone#). This is not the caller ID that people you call would see.

It doesn't have to be your apple ID email either, it just has to be an email address and it has to be the same on all your devices.

On your iPad & iPhone go into Settings.
Select Messages.
Tap on Receive At
Tap Add another email and enter the email you are going to use.
Then go down to Caller ID and tap on that email address so it is checked.

On the Mac open the Messages app, select preferences under the Messages menu.
Click on Accounts.
Left column should have Bonjour and your Apple ID. Click on the Apple ID

where it says, you can be reached for messages at:
Click on the + sign and type in the email your going to use.
Press return.
On the Caller ID selection, pull down the menu and select that email address.

Voila, you are done.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.