Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apatim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
I upgraded to Mountain Lion yesterday and now I cannot print to my Dell Laser Printer 5100cn. I get an error in the printer dialogue stating:

Stopped - 'Filter' failed

The printer was connected to my AirPort Extreme but I tried connecting directly to my iMac... still get same error message.

Can anyone help me with this? (note: my computer skill level is only about intermediate).

Thanks!

wersix

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Having Similar Problem

I just bought a Macbook Pro yesterday. I upgraded to Mountain Lion today and then added my Windows-based network printer (Epson Stylus Photo RX595). I had a number of problems so I connected the printer directly to the MBP which caused the latest version of the driver to install. I was able to get the printer to work this way. I then reconnected the printer to the network and installed the network printer using the new driver (I believe). I'm getting a different error than what I got before I connected the printer directly but it is the same error mentioned in the previous post "Ready to Print - 'Filter' failed".

My network printer is connected to a Windows 7 desktop and my router is a Westell Model 9100EM. Any ideas what may be going on?

JohnnyDeLuxe

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
I upgraded to Mountain Lion yesterday and now I cannot print to my Dell Laser Printer 5100cn. I get an error in the printer dialogue stating:

Stopped - 'Filter' failed

The printer was connected to my AirPort Extreme but I tried connecting directly to my iMac... still get same error message.

Can anyone help me with this? (note: my computer skill level is only about intermediate).

Thanks!

Hi, Just upgraded my iMac successfully here. Try to delete and reset print system:

Have you tried to delete the printer using the "-" and pressing the ALT when you do it - in the "Print & Scan" settings in "System prefs"? Pressing ALT resets the printing system. After that try to re-install the latest printing software you can get.

acidmonkey

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2012
For some reason Mountain Lion seems to forget previously installed windows networked printers.

The solution I've found for wireless networks is to "forget" the wifi network from control panel/network/advanced, remove the printer you are trying to use from control panel/print&scan and then setup the network again as if it was new.

Your computer will now be able to see any previously disappeared/forgotten networked printers, and these can now be added in control panel/ print&scan.

Hope this helps!

Davidrumors

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2013
Old Thread, same issues in 2013

I am an Apple tech in Los Angeles, and had a client call me with the 'filter failed' error cropping up on an hours-old MBAir.

I sleuthed out (even tho there was denial on the part of the client) that they had used Migration Assistant to take everything from their Snow Leopard 10.6.8 macbook to the brand new 10.8 macbook air at the Apple Store... and I mean everything. Including Settings.

I suspect that when you migrate system settings, it also includes plist files which are no longer compatible with newer hardware (although I haven't really tested this theory, and Apple's website is rather unspecific about this).

I backed up with Time Machine, left, came back when it was done.
I migrated her user into another mac.
then alt-rebooted to get to the Recovery disk,
formatted the hard drive,
reinstalled Mountain Lion, and finally
migrated the user files back without the "settings" checked.

My client could instantly see the printer, click it, install it properly via Apple's servers, and print immediately. Everything else worked as it should.

I have seen so many problems with Migration Assistant that I recommend never letting Apple Store do it, even though they did it for "free", they had to pay me a ton of money to get their system working again.

Caveat Emptor. YMMV.

----------

For some reason Mountain Lion seems to forget previously installed windows networked printers.

The solution I've found for wireless networks is to "forget" the wifi network from control panel/network/advanced, remove the printer you are trying to use from control panel/print&scan and then setup the network again as if it was new.

Your computer will now be able to see any previously disappeared/forgotten networked printers, and these can now be added in control panel/ print&scan.

Hope this helps!

I did try this, but it didn't work at all. Not only could I never completely remove the household wireless network password no matter what, I could also never remove the printer. It seemed to just save the previous driver, and not let me overwrite it. Glad it worked for you though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.