Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
As far as I recall, searching (using Spotlight) network shares has been disabled for quite some time in OSX. The last version I remember working properly in that area was Tiger. I believe they did it intentionally to prevent saturating the network (which would be a nightmare in a large organisation). However besides all of that, samba has been totally broken on OSX since Lion so I disabled it and manually installed the open source samba, which works perfectly.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
SMBup

I just got the new WD TV Live and Mountain Lion, NOT WORKING TOGETHER :mad:

So after some google search I found the program SMBup and that makes it work to some degree. It's not happy when i'm trying to stream 1080p videos over Wi-Fi (30/3) so a cable might connection might be the way for me ;)

Does anyone know a VERY EASY step by step guide to installing the open source Samba?

phobox

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2007
I believe smbup is the easiest method atm. Personally however I set samba up myself using MacPorts and create my own configuration file, but I have some fairly specific needs. If you just want to be able to share folders or volumes, smbup is probably the way to go - its essentially an easy to use front end for open source samba.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.