Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ANTONkoolaid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
I have no problem connecting to WiFi networks that require passwords, but my rMBP I just got (installed ML immediately) will NOT connect to any networks that are open that require further log on.

First example - at grad school, there is a universal "Campus" network where you join, then when you try open a web page it usually redirects you to a sign in page where you enter your credentials.
Second example - at an airport right now and have access to the default airport WiFi looking to sign on and use their internet. Same open network with typical prompt to enter information upon site request.

However, with any of these open networks, when trying to join them I get the WiFi icon with an "!" in the middle of it and a notification that it can't connect to the network. This leaves me with no option to get to the log in screens to authenticate my session.

I am currently forced to use my phone via WiFi tether in these situations (i.e. right now to write this message).

Any ideas as to what is going on/how to remedy this problem?

Thanks!!!

ANTONkoolaid

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
I really can't believe that NO ONE has any kind of idea how to fix this. I am growing more and more frustrated by the minute.

steveleicester

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
I have the same problem. Just got my rMBP (with ML already installed) and tried logging in to our university wifi. Normally I am taken to a login screen to enter my user name and password. I get a full strength signal but Safari will not connect, it says it is not secure and to contact the ISP. My iPhone is still connecting fine. I found a workaround that worked a couple of times, but only after a full reboot each time. If I launch Fusion with Windows 7 and use Internet Explorer it works, but if I lose signal and need to log in again IE can't log in until I reboot everything.

This is very frustrating as I spend most of my time at the campus. Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

Tried all the usuals of renewing DHCP lease etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.