Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noodile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Hey,

I have a 13" MBP Mid-2009.

Core 2 Duo 2.53
4GB Ram
250 GB HDD
with NVIDIA Geforce 9400. 256mb

At the time, it was top of the line 13".

Now the bad:

Battery Needs replaced. (1100 cycles) (about $120 DIY)
Trackpad is pushed up, needs replaced (from battery bloating) (about $60 DIY)
Optical drive is removed.
Has some scratches, and minor dents.

IF i were to sell it, i'd sell it just so i can replace it with an iPad or some windows 11" PC. Right now i just got a 15" MBP, so the replacement would be for portability, not for performance. Any idea what the 13" would be worth?

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Hey,

I have a 13" MBP Mid-2009.

Core 2 Duo 2.53
4GB Ram
250 GB HDD
with NVIDIA Geforce 9400. 256mb

At the time, it was top of the line 13".

Now the bad:

Battery Needs replaced. (1100 cycles) (about $120 DIY)
Trackpad is pushed up, needs replaced (from battery bloating) (about $60 DIY)
Optical drive is removed.
Has some scratches, and minor dents.

IF i were to sell it, i'd sell it just so i can replace it with an iPad or some windows 11" PC. Right now i just got a 15" MBP, so the replacement would be for portability, not for performance. Any idea what the 13" would be worth?

Go to mac2sell.net find the figure, and deduct for the repairs. OWC has cheaper batteries ($90), may just get the trackpad replaced and try a optibay with a SSD in the HDD space. That and 8gb of cheap ram would make that a nifty little portable machine for perhaps a modest price savings over a new iPad.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Go to mac2sell.net find the figure, and deduct for the repairs. OWC has cheaper batteries ($90), may just get the trackpad replaced and try a optibay with a SSD in the HDD space. That and 8gb of cheap ram would make that a nifty little portable machine for perhaps a modest price savings over a new iPad.

Also weigh the cost of fixing it vs selling "as is" on eBay or craigslist. That's assuming you're willing to DIY on the repairs.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I'd be surprised if the equivalent replacement trackpad is only $60. Beyond that if it's not totally messed up, you may be able to adjust it. The battery is always an expensive part, and it really does need a new battery. These computers throttle somewhat without one even when plugged in. It will make it to ML if someone decides to upgrade it, yet $40-50 for ram to hit 8GB wouldn't be a bad idea if they're going this route. OSX has become very ram hungry. Optical might not bother some people. You could at least get a few hundred for it assuming otherwise respectable condition.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Take it to an apple store. Battery bulges usually get free replacements. If the trackpad broke as a result of the battery, you probably could get that replaced for free too.

If those things are fixed for free, you could probably sell it for $500-$600 easily.

Optical drive removed is probably a good thing, you could put an extra hard drive in there.

TechyRod

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
South FL
Looks pretty good I feel you wont have a problem selling this item, good thing you set a reserve! I'd prob DIY if the price wasn't to bad then sell possibly get few more $$$ :apple:

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
You should be able to get around $550 for it. Just take some nice pictures and offer a reasonable return period.

noodile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
How much were you expecting to get for it? I might be interested.

Looks pretty good I feel you wont have a problem selling this item, good thing you set a reserve! I'd prob DIY if the price wasn't to bad then sell possibly get few more $$$ :apple:

You should be able to get around $550 for it. Just take some nice pictures and offer a reasonable return period.

I ended up posting it on ebay with a reserve of $500. (I didnt realize we werent allowd to post a link to it here).

but here's a video showing the actual laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27l8khZWjw4

My goal is to basically get a newer iPad, tablet, or an 11" MBA

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I just took my early 2009 15" MBP 5,1 to the genius because my battery was defective. I didn't have the bulge like yours. The genius confirmed that the battery was defective but would not do anything because it was out of warranty. Even if I had AppleCare she said they would only considering replacing it if the machine was a week or two past the expiration date of the AC warranty period.

You can get a battery exchange for $99 and they take your old one from you. Mine still kept about an hour or two of charge so I opted for the replacement of $129 and got to keep the old one as a backup.

noodile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I just took my early 2009 15" MBP 5,1 to the genius because my battery was defective. I didn't have the bulge like yours. The genius confirmed that the battery was defective but would not do anything because it was out of warranty. Even if I had AppleCare she said they would only considering replacing it if the machine was a week or two past the expiration date of the AC warranty period.

You can get a battery exchange for $99 and they take your old one from you. Mine still kept about an hour or two of charge so I opted for the replacement of $129 and got to keep the old one as a backup.

Thanks for the info man

noodile

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Its a $305 right now on ebay. Lets hope it gets higher.

if it sells, i decided on an Asus TF700T.

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
I hate selling anything expensive on ebay for the fact that they double dip on their fees. It really annoys me that they charge a final value fee for the auction and then a paypal fee on top of that when they are both the same company. You paid almost 14% in fees which is excessive in my book.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
I hate selling anything expensive on ebay for the fact that they double dip on their fees. It really annoys me that they charge a final value fee for the auction and then a paypal fee on top of that when they are both the same company. You paid almost 14% in fees which is excessive in my book.

I completely agree. It's nickel-and-dime strategy. People used to get around the final value fee by raising the shipping charge, but now they charge the same percentage on the price and shipping charge.

It forces sellers into basically providing free shipping to entice buyers. But if a return/refund is involved, the seller eats the shipping because you can't deduct your actual shipping cost from the refund if your auction was with free shipping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.