Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
My dad just bought a new laptop and im setting up his PC. It has an AMD A6-4400m processor, it's a current generation processor, but it only gets a 4.6 on the WEI.

In contrast, my 2 year old MBP with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo gets a 5.1 rating in boot camp.

Is this supposed to be the case and Amd just makes poor processors?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
5.1 is based on the lowest score, not the overall performance. Plus older versions of windows get higher scores. So his new notebook has a newer version of windows than yours most likely, hence doesn't get as high a score.

What are the two processor, graphics, memory, and hard drive scores?

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
5.1 is based on the lowest score, not the overall performance. Plus older versions of windows get higher scores. So his new notebook has a newer version of windows than yours most likely, hence doesn't get as high a score.

What are the two processor, graphics, memory, and hard drive scores?

the scores ARE for the processors only, should have clarified that.

Both are running on windows 7 home premium 64 bit

It still doesn't seem to make sense to me though, my 2 year old outdated C2D is better than the a6-4400m...

the AMD laptop
A6-4400M
6 GB RAM
500 GB 5400 RPM HDD

MBP
2.4 C2D
4 GB RAM
180 GB SSD

both have integrated graphics too, but I don't think the other parts affect the processor score at all, could be wrong.

mwebb

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
4.6 on WEI doesn't surprise me on the AMD "APU's"

When AMD designed the APU (CPU + GPU = APU) their goal was "discrete class graphics" on a low power single chip design. The reviews generally confirm that they hit the target in terms of graphics performance ... but the CPU portion was so weak that the CPU limited available GPU performance, at least on the lower tier of this series.

Unfortunately time has made AMD's decision to include great graphics but underperforming CPU look even worse now that the 3rd generation i-series of Core Processors from Intel are out. And with Ivy Bridge, the current Intel series, there is no graphics edge. Ivy Bridge beats AMD easily category by category, in graphics, CPU, and power usage. Unfortunately Intel still carries the "Intel" premium in terms of pricing.

I even have some intentionally "crippled" (by Intel) Celeron and Pentium class designs based on the last generation Sandy Bridge Core series that outperform AMD up to and including the A6 on WEI tests.

Is the AMD a good buy if you take price into account?

Yes. I just (December 31) ordered a Win 8 Lenovo Ideapad s405 thin form factor (.83") 14" laptop, effectively an "Ultrabook" form factor but without the Intel name (since "Ultrabook" is an Intel brand name). Yes, it comes with a standard hard drive (one of the "modern" single platter 500gb's), and about a half pound weight penalty (it is 3.9 pounds with battery in it) - but for $359 on an end of the year special from New Egg, it makes me defer the purchase of a $1200 MacBook Air 13.3" until they at least come with an IPS screen - my pet wish-list item, for better viewing angles.

So if you think a 2.7 ghz, quad core CPU guarantees high performance in this modern era - forget it, as the WEI score points out. BUT the GPU is FINE and the total package? Very usable.

BTW I don't believe Win 8 has "lower" scores than Win 7 for the same hardware. I have installed Win 8 on several old machines and the scores remained unchanged, except for a couple of Atom N2600 machines where the CPU score remained unchanged, but the graphics score dropped (either due to unfinished Win 8 drivers or due to Win 7 anomalies in scoring the Atom). What did change was the range of scores on Win 8 - they used to top out at 7.9 on Win 7, but in recognition of better hardware, Win 8 tops out at 9.9.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
the scores ARE for the processors only, should have clarified that.

Both are running on windows 7 home premium 64 bit

It still doesn't seem to make sense to me though, my 2 year old outdated C2D is better than the a6-4400m...

the AMD laptop
A6-4400M
6 GB RAM
500 GB 5400 RPM HDD

MBP
2.4 C2D
4 GB RAM
180 GB SSD

both have integrated graphics too, but I don't think the other parts affect the processor score at all, could be wrong.

AMD processors have pretty terrible performance. The GPU portion does perform rather well. Look at the detailed score report and I'm guessing the lowest score will be the hard drive. Your SSD is much faster and your CPU is probably just as good if not the same as AMD's A6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.