Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the landmark Apple vs. Samsung patent and design lawsuit resulting a $1 billion verdict for Apple late last week, considerable discussion about the jury's decision-making process has been making the rounds. Several members of the jury, including foreman Velvin Hogan, gave interviews after the trial, but a new video interview of Hogan by Bloomberg Television's Emily Chang provides some additional insight into the jury's thinking. The nearly 17-minute segment covers a number of topics including the jury dynamics, calculation of damages, and how Hogan's own experience with patents and financial statements helped guide the discussion and evaluation.

apple_samsung_logos-500x137.jpg

Hogan notes that he initially thought the case might swing Samsung's way as the jury initially had some difficulty assessing how the validity of the patents should be decided and applied to the case.
We were at a stalemate, but some of the jurors were not sure of the patent prosecution process. Some were not sure of how prior art could either render a patent acceptable or whether it could invalidate it. What we did is we started talking about one and when the day was over and I was at home, thinking about that patent claim by claim, limit by limit, I had what we would call an a-ha moment and I suddenly decided I could defend this if it was my patent...And with that, I took that story back to the jury and laid it out for them. They understood the points I was talking about and then we meticulously went patent by patent and claim by claim against the test that the judge had given us, because each patent had a different legal premise to judge on. We got those all sorted out and decided which ones were valid and which ones were not.
Hogan also reiterates the jury's view that comments by Google demanding that Samsung tweak its product designs to look less similar to the iPhone and iPad were particularly damning, indicating that Samsung's infringement was willful as it took in Google's advice and opted not to follow it.

Overall, the jury found that the evidence in the case "spoke overwhelmingly" to Samsung's infringement, with the jury having put "each side to the test" equally in weighing both validity and infringement claims, working through each of the involved devices and claimed infringements to reach the $1 billion verdict. Hogan also walks through how that dollar amount was reached, using their own calculations of how much Apple lost in profits from sales of the infringing Samsung devices and then adding in royalty amounts to achieve a final number.

Article Link: Jury Foreman in Apple vs. Samsung Case Speaks to Rationale for Verdict

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
He needs to stop talking.
Every time he opens his mouth, he is helping Samsung's case for appeal.
It's bad enough the jury flat out ignored the judges orders on damages, he's now admitting to doing all but taking the role of Apple's counsel in the jury room.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Apple found 12 uninformed people to determine whether or not we get competition in the mobile device market.

Brilliant.

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
he is helping Samsung's case for appeal.

Good. They need to win the appeal. Consumers do too. The litigation thugs of Apple need to stop suing over petty stuff like 'pinch-to-zoom.' That's like LG suing Panasonic for putting an 'input' button on their television remote.

damitssam

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
It's bad enough the jury flat out ignored the judges orders on damages, he's now admitting to doing all but taking the role of Apple's counsel in the jury room.

Samsung's lawyers are licking their chops. How the hell could their lawyers let a guy like this slip into the jury.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
Wow. Interesting that the jury went from this:

Hogan notes that he initially thought the case might swing Samsung's way as the jury initially had some difficulty assessing how validity of the patents should be decided and applied to the case.

To this:

Overall, the jury found that the evidence in the case "spoke overwhelmingly" to Samsung's infringement, with the jury having put "each side to the test" equally in weighing both validity and infringement claims, working through each of the involved devices and claimed infringements to reach the $1 billion verdict.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006

No, if the decision was flawed then we need to know about it. If that means Samsung deserves to win the appeal, then justice will be done.

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
The patent he is talking about is Samsung's.

He went home and thought about Samsungs patent, and decided that it was defensible, and for that reason deemed it valid.

People here seem to think that the 460 patent is one of Apple's. It isn't.

pandamonia

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2009
So one man led a 12 man jury to agree with him because he thought he was right!

Samsung should be able to appeal this pretty easy because the more i read the more i think this whole trial was a joke.

jhende7

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Apple found 12 uninformed people to determine whether or not we get competition in the mobile device market.

Brilliant.

Lol. You can say the result stifles competition over and over and over again but that doesn't make it true. Last time I checked there are plenty of other manufacturers out there making their own phones that will provide great competition for years to come. Competition does not equal clones. You sir don't have the right to call anybody else "uninformed" with the b.s your trying to pass off as fact.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Good. They need to win the appeal. Consumers do too. The litigation thugs of Apple need to stop suing over petty stuff like 'pinch-to-zoom.' That's like LG suing Panasonic for putting an 'input' button on their television remote.

Ah yes, this argument again. Because pinch-to-zoom is the only patent Samsung violated...:rolleyes:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wasn't Samsung involved in jury selection? Would be hard to appeal on jury incompetence when they helped select the jury. But I'm sure Apple wishes he'd just ****.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
So one man led a 12 man jury to agree with him because he thought he was right!

Samsung should be able to appeal this pretty easy because the more i read the more i think this whole trial was a joke.

I have been on a Jury myself and yes I fully agree that this is how it is in real life.
The jury I was on (a few drugs cases) the people (public) were pretty much confused and could see both sides. It really only takes one or two strong willed and persuasive people on the jury to sway the majority. It's quite scary actually esp if you are sending someone to prison.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I doubt it. Jurors speak out all the time. He isn't saying that they considered any other research or that he did anything improper. Both sides and the judge knew his background and that he had patents and was involved in lawsuits in the past. He simply explained to the rest of the jury the concepts that were laid out in the instructions.

Jurors are supposed to consider the evidence presented to them. That doesn't mean checking their brains at the door.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

It's called being the foreman, genius.

----------

Brilliant.

The jury is selected by both parties, not just the plaintiff.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Lol. You can say the result stifles competition over and over and over again but that doesn't make it true. Last time I checked there are plenty of other manufacturers out there making their own phones that will provide great competition for years to come. Competition does not equal clones. You sir don't have the right to call anybody else "uninformed" with the b.s your trying to pass off as fact.

Well said, sir. Especially the bit in bold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.