Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
I just installed the newly released Java 7.07 on my Mac, but under the Java Preferences it only shows Java SE 6 for 32 and 64 bit. I've tried restarted, doesn't do anything.

I downloaded and installed Java 7.06 a couple a days of go, but when I read it was unsecury I deleted it by deleting the file located in Macintosh HD/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/. Doesn't know if this can have anything to do with it?

Also, if I get Java 7.07 to work, should I delete the old Java SE 6 for both 32 and 64 bit?

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Same problem here

Yes, same here. It's strange, because the "Java Preferences" app in the Utilities folder only shows Java 6, but now there is a new Java Preferences pane in System Preferences that shows Java 7 installed. If I go to Java.com and click on "Do I have Java?" it does show Java 7 update 7 installed (assuming I have "Enable Java" checked in the Safari Securities preferences), even if I have Java 6 disabled in the old Java Preferences pane.

To make things more interesting, even when java.com is saying 7u7 is installed, if I go to terminal and type "java -version", I get "Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke". If I reselect Java 6 in the original Java Preferences in Utilities, it then shows Java 6 as being installed, not Java 7.

Knowing next to nothing about Java, I can only assume that the new 7.07 download from Oracle ONLY installs the browser integration, and not the system-wide Java Runtime environment.

:confused:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe the issue is you need to also install the Java Development Kit (JDK) for Java 7 to show up in that prefs list. Then you can drag Java 7 to the top so it gets used first.

Here is my pref window.

20120831-f7dd473wa6j259nagpysn67fhq.jpg

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
I believe the issue is you need to also install the Java Development Kit (JDK) for Java 7 to show up in that prefs list.

Ah, thanks--that worked. It's confusing because Oracle is calling this the Development Kit, but it's needed even just to run Java-based applications like Cyberduck. Oh well--problem solved, thanks!

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Ah, thanks--that worked. It's confusing because Oracle is calling this the Development Kit, but it's needed even just to run Java-based applications like Cyberduck. Oh well--problem solved, thanks!

Nope, this is WRONG.

Oracle states that you need ONLY the JRE (Runtime Environment) to run Java apps, and the JDK for developing them.

The fact that the JRE doesn't show up on the traditional utility Java Preferences (since Java uses its own preference pane) has nothing to do with that.

Check here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Nope, this is WRONG.

Oracle states that you need ONLY the JRE (Runtime Environment) to run Java apps, and the JDK for developing them.

The fact that the JRE doesn't show up on the traditional utility Java Preferences (since Java uses its own preference pane) has nothing to do with that.

Check here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html

That is correct. Things will run with just the JRE, but to see 7 in the pref pane you need the JDK.

-mattias-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2009
So even though I don't see Java 7 in the prefences, it's still installed and the one being used over Java 6?

Also, should I uninstall Java 6?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So even though I don't see Java 7 in the prefences, it's still installed and the one being used over Java 6?

Also, should I uninstall Java 6?

http://javatester.org/version.html

There is a little confusion here. If you had Java 6 installed and then installed Java 7, Safari will use Java 7. You can see that by going to the above test site. This is because Java 7 replaced the Java 6 Safari plugin.

If you had Java 6 installed and then installed Java 7, when you run Java desktop applications (not in Safari), those applications will use Java 6. To make those applications use Java 7 you need to install the JDK and move Java 7 to the top of the list. You can verify which Java version will be used for apps by running the terminal command "java -version" (without the quotes). If you run that command before and after moving Java 7 up in the list you will see the difference.

I would leave Java 6 installed. It is not being used by Safari, and some desktop apps may still require it. It does no harm to leave it.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
This 7.07 update was released to fix the vulnerability mentioned in that article. So yes, the version 7.07 is safe to install.

"Researchers find critical vulnerability in Java 7 patch hours after release
The new vulnerability allows a complete Java Virtual Machine sandbox escape in Java 7 Update 7, researchers from Security Explorations say" Computerworld.com

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Before you think about installing Jave 7 read this important article showing that 7 is not safe but version SE 6 is. Check out this link:

http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/29/java-7-security-issue-how-to-protect/

This 7.07 update was released to fix the vulnerability mentioned in that article. So yes, the version 7.07 is safe to install.

"Researchers find critical vulnerability in Java 7 patch hours after release
The new vulnerability allows a complete Java Virtual Machine sandbox escape in Java 7 Update 7, researchers from Security Explorations say" Computerworld.com

Well... that didn't take long. :eek:

The post I replied to contained a link to an article about a flaw in 7.06, which was (supposedly) fixed in 7.07.

You are referring to a different article here that was posted over an hour after my reply.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well... that didn't take long. :eek:

The post I replied to contained a link to an article about a flaw in 7.06, which was (supposedly) fixed in 7.07.

You are referring to a different article here that was posted over an hour after my reply.

And this is why Java has been deactivated on my Mac for at least the last five years - it's installed just for the sake of being available (in the rare to nonexistent even where I need it).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
And this is why Java has been deactivated on my Mac for at least the last five years - it's installed just for the sake of being available (in the rare to nonexistent even where I need it).

I keep it turned off in Safari. I can't remember the last site I used that required it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009

How do you fully de-activate Java? Just in Safari Preferences and System Preferences? (I know, I know, I should know this)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
How do you fully de-activate Java? Just in Safari Preferences and System Preferences? (I know, I know, I should know this)

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57423014-263/how-to-install-and-uninstall-java-7-for-os-x/

Java 7 is buggy on my Mac - its prefs don't allow me to untick it.

As for Java 6, just use the traditional Java Preferences utility.

----------

I keep it turned off in Safari. I can't remember the last site I used that required it.

Yep, exactly.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Nope, this is WRONG.

Well regardless of what Oracle states, the fact is that after downloading the 7u7 DMG, Java was only recognized in Safari. Java apps (like Cyberduck) did not run and the terminal command "java -version" returned "Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke". It wasn't until I downloaded the JDK that Cyberduck was able to open and the terminal command recognized Java version 7.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well regardless of what Oracle states, the fact is that after downloading the 7u7 DMG, Java was only recognized in Safari. Java apps (like Cyberduck) did not run and the terminal command "java -version" returned "Unable to locate a Java Runtime to invoke". It wasn't until I downloaded the JDK that Cyberduck was able to open and the terminal command recognized Java version 7.

Assuming this is true, it's no surprise Java sucks across the board. Not even its own company knows what is right. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.