Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
To the people that bought a 2012 air in July, you can't help but to be a bit bitter that (maybe) a retina 13 inch will be released just a few months after updating the air. I'm assuming the 13" would weigh in at 3.5 making it only .6 heavier than the air. Will you guys sell your 2012 air or hold out?

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I will hold out. You should never buy a rev1 Apple product.

The 15" rMBP has scrolling issues and lags when just using the HD4000 at times. If a 13" rMBP comes out it will use the HD4000 for sure. There's no reason to buy it.

I've seen the rMBP and the screen is gorgeous. I'll get a 13" rMBP to replace my MBA...but in the next revision!

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA

The 15" rMBP has scrolling issues and lags when just using the HD4000 at times. If a 13" rMBP comes out it will use the HD4000 for sure. There's no reason to buy it.

I've seen the rMBP and the screen is gorgeous. I'll get a 13" rMBP to replace my MBA...but in the next revision!

I wouldn't say never in this case. Sure the retina is a new product but it came from a tried and true design based on the MBP. The Air was definitely a revA product because it was a radically new design.

iamsen47

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Kobe, Japan
I might regret it if they released an 11" retina. But the 13" was never ever in my sights anyway so I don't really care. The only reason I got the Air was because it's like carrying a 2nd iPad with me. If I wanted a 13" I'd just stick with a windows laptop.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Not me, I bought an 11" Air this week and I'll be getting a 13" rMBP assuming it has a dedicated GPU. If not, I won't be touching it with a bargepole given how the 15" performs under integrated GPU.

ImperialX

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Not me, I bought an 11" Air this week and I'll be getting a 13" rMBP assuming it has a dedicated GPU.

I bought the Air as well, but you won't have to worry about the 13" rMBP if it releases this year - I can promise you it's not going to have a dedicated GPU. That's why I won't be getting it.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
you can't help but to be a bit bitter that (maybe) a retina 13 inch will be released just a few months

Only if you are the type of person who must have the latest&greatest (for how long will u be the king of your block?).

Me, never buy version 1.0 of anything. Why let them work out the bugs first and me pay premium just to say I have something new for what 8 months? Meh.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Air is closer to $999, the 13" rMBP will be closer to $1500

This.

That being said, a 2012 Air would be easy to sell at a good price. IF a retina 13" comes sometime soon I'll check it out and then decide. I gotta say though that I had a 2010 13" MBP and now that I have the Air that machine seemed extremely heavy to me.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'd imagine the 13" rMBP selling for $1799 or so ... not the $1499 the current model brings.

I also think 3 1/2 pounds is a chimera. The actual 13" will probably weigh in closer to 4 pounds.

Do I feel cheated because I bought a 2012 11" MBA and now the 13" rMPB is on the horizon? Not in the least ... they are vastly different machines, in my view. Had I bought a 13" MBA - as I'd originally intended - then I might be a little more angst-ridden. The current 13" MBP is severely hamstrung, in my view. If the new rMBP alleviates some of those compromises, there might be some justification for going back to that form factor. Until it does and has been proven, however, the 11" hits the portability and productivity sweet spot. I fear a redesigned 13" MBP won't come close.

pandaguy

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
I'm a little miffed that they're releasing it so soon. I was planning on getting the retina MBP until they were announced to be only 15 inch.

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
I just bought a 13" MBA, despite the rumors of the upcoming 13" rMBP. I'm more than happy with it.

My plan is to wait for the Haswell revision of both machines and choose an appropriate upgrade next year. Hopefully by then we'll all have a better sense of the product differentiation.

Besides, I'm already planning on getting a new iPhone in Sep, I really don't need more stress than that!

dbdynsty25

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2008
Thousand Oaks, CA
I'm a little miffed that they're releasing it so soon. I was planning on getting the retina MBP until they were announced to be only 15 inch.

Not sure where you heard the actual release date...yeah some people are saying this year, but my bet is still next year as they just updated all of the MacBooks this summer w/ new processors.

m.demian

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2012
I'm getting a 2012 Air already knowing that a 13'' retina is coming out. Went to a Best Buy to check out the 15'' retina screen and was not impressed. I'd rather save the $500 or however much it'll cost instead of waiting and purchasing a similar performing device with a display that I don't care about.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
I'm getting a 2012 Air already knowing that a 13'' retina is coming out. Went to a Best Buy to check out the 15'' retina screen and was not impressed. I'd rather save the $500 or however much it'll cost instead of waiting and purchasing a similar performing device with a display that I don't care about.

I concur.

I think the Retina display thing on notebooks is fairly well overhyped. I've got a 1920x1080 display on my 15.6" Thinkpad and that's plenty pixel dense for my tastes. Besides, the way that the OS seems to scale things, it doesn't look like you're able to get much more in the way of usable real estate for most of the stuff I'd give a crap about (i.e. stuff that's text-based).

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Ridiculous. The Retina screen is amazing. Looking at my IPad and then at my Air is not fun.

The iPad 3 has an amazing screen, for sure. Using it is such a pleasure in part because it doesn't have scroll lag and UI lag like in the rMBP. Having said that, I can appreciate how come the Air doesn't have a retina display, due to current limitations in battery and graphical processing. I can definitely tell the difference in display between the Air and the iPad 3, but that only means my eyes have become accustomed to the retina display and doesn't necessarily mean the Air is total crap. Granted though, 1366x768 is pretty standard fare.

I like the Air as a total package, and on the whole I like it a lot. Sure I'd like to see a retina Air in 2013/2014 if we can feasibly accommodate it without having to make much sacrifices. For now? The Air is fine and I have no urge to ditch it for a rMBP, given the price point differences.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny

I agree with this guy NEVER buy a revision1 product cause the 2nd revision will totally kick ass. Look how fast the apple stop supporting the original iPad lol

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
So the iPad3 with it's integrated everything can push pixels at a resolutions of 2048x1536 and you people are saying that a possible 13" rMBP won't be able to push a few more pixels around? It will for sure not have the density of the 15" rMBP and if that model "lags sometimes" with the HD4000, chances are that the 13" with a lower pixel density will NOT lag sometimes...

I can understand the scepticism though... I just feel that people are missing the small, but quite important details. Everyone is comparing it to the 15" rMBP when the possible 13" rMBP will surely not have to push so many stuff around and I'm confident that the HD4000 is more than capable for handling the job...

The whole "revision A" thingie is quite dumb... so none of you got the iPhone 4? Everyone has iPhone 4S? Or are you all waiting for a second revision on the 4S maybe first? In order for a second revision to exist, Apple first needs to make money and see that investing in a second version is worth it... I understand the frustration, but it's not as if things come down to: "ohhh, noo!!! My 'revision A' notebook is not perfect... well, I just have to throw it aways since there's nothing else left to do"! If it doesn't work, send it back and get it replaced / fixed ( if that doesn't work either, get a different model / brand )... that's why WARRANTY exists. YES, it will generate some frustration ( it's not cool to keep on sending faulty products constantly back and hoping that the next one will be a good one ) but even with a Revision B, it's not as if everything will be perfect and it will have no problems. Revision B will have new, possibly not well tested features ( otherwise who'll spend the money on it? )... you are not avoiding bugs with a Revision B, you are just fooling yourself: "by then, they'll figure things out" ( they might, BUT they will surely create new issues that need to be fixed as well! When??? Revision C? D? E? ... )

I for one will surely be getting the 13" rMBP once it hits the market... may that be this year or next year. If you want to endlessly wait for the "perfect notebook", well... good luck with that! :) "maybe revision X will be perfect"... NOT!

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I agree with this guy NEVER buy a revision1 product cause the 2nd revision will totally kick ass. Look how fast the apple stop supporting the original iPad lol

Yeah, never buy the newest BMW, Audi, Mercedes or Ferrari models... they all suck! ( you think only Apple can make mistakes? ) :rolleyes: The funny thing is that most people who think like you ( or at least make similar affirmations ), end up buying a revision A eventually ( either a few months later cause they can't resist the temptation or find a good / cheap deal or in around 1 years time, motivating their decision with something like: "yeah, I know it's last years model but I'm on a limited budget and I don't really 'NEED' the newer model... also the new model is not 'THAT' different / better and is not worth the extra $$$" ).

Great for you! Cya again once you come back bragging about how cool your Revision A notebook is and how you seem to have none of the problems others kept on complaining about... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2012
Nope. I think the air is a better laptop. Fast enough for anything I throw at it. Zero scroll lag. I think the screen on the air is beautiful (of course I lucked out and got a samsung display), Ultra light, great looking.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
PS: My personal ( and general ) advice: GET ONE, TRY IT OUT and if you REALLY HATE IT, then returning it within 14 days. Just because something doesn't qualify for the standards of some random people, it doesn't mean it's crap and you can't possibly be happy with it.

The 14 days return policy is one of the best things about Apple... Get one and try it out yourself! But then again, you are free to choose to let some random people's opinions keep you back from purchasing an item that could turn out to be 'exactly' what you've been looking for ( be it Revision A, B, C, D... Z ).

Last edited:

Tenashus1

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
I'm going to take a serious look at the rMBP. I might just go for one. I've got a mid 2009 MBP that is trusty, but perhaps getting a bit dated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.