Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xeratix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Hello,
I just spent a good 3 hours searching the Net for a Command & Conquers,
which is compatible with Mountain Lion 10.8.1
Now im not really sure if its compatible already or i would need a No-install (preinstalled version) or what i exactly i am looking for:

SO if anyone knows a link i could download the game .. then
OMG that would be so bro of you!

Im just before giving up :(

BTW, Age of Empires would also be an adequate alternative<3

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It's not native to Mac anyhow, so if you were to find a version, it'd be a crappy Cider-wrapped port or something.

My suggestion? Run it in a virtual machine, or Bootcamp it. I personally use Parallels Desktops, which in my opinion is the dog's -- but if you want peak performance, I'd probably do it through Bootcamp.

I'm more of a C&C 3 Tib Wars guy myself. :p

macgames

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2012
I've spent many hours myself trying to track down a version of Command and Conquer to sell in our store, but as keysofanxiety said, it is just a Cider port anyway, so not that great.

If you want the next best thing Company of Heroes is pretty close, and has better graphics if that helps swing your decisions at all. You can get either the download version or boxed version from MacGames.co.uk/CompanyofHeroes:)

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
There's one working copy on my harddrive :eek: - And it isn't cider, generals are native :mad: - They don't work in multiplayer with windows client :mad:

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
It's not native to Mac anyhow, so if you were to find a version, it'd be a crappy Cider-wrapped port or something.

My suggestion? Run it in a virtual machine, or Bootcamp it. I personally use Parallels Desktops, which in my opinion is the dog's -- but if you want peak performance, I'd probably do it through Bootcamp.

I'm more of a C&C 3 Tib Wars guy myself. :p

Aspyr begs to differ with you:

http://www.aspyr.com/games/legacy

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832351018CVF

It's hard to track down these days, but it exists (I own it). They later updated it to a universal binary (PowerPC/Intel). It is certainly not a Cider-wrapped port. Since there's no installer (you just drag and drop the folder to your disk drive) and the universal binary updater runs on Intel, I can't see why it wouldn't work under 10.8.

Only thing is, the Mac version used some stupid Game Ranger variant for online play and wasn't compatible with the PC version. Frankly, given the primitive (by todays standards) graphics and limited resolution (the game won't do anything above 1440x900 I think), it would probably be easier to fire up the PC version inside a VM. It should run just fine, I know Act Of War does and it's the same engine as Generals.

Of course, I think he's asking for a pirated link to a torrent so everything is moot anyways.

-SC

92jlee

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
Cardiff, Wales, UK
I have a copy of the windows version so I downloaded (illiegally yes but I have PAID for the same game under windows so thats how I justify it to myself) and its a Universal Binary, I am running 10.6 still so havent tested it on 10.8 but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Very good game, much better than any of the new C&Cs.

StefanYFC

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Only supports PowerPC natively. I was doing it through Parallels and it worked just fine, but Parallels wouldn't run Borderlands 2 (obviously..) so I just got rid of it. Now BL2 is out for Mac, just my luck.

Anyway, I'd say if you have access to Parallels, that's probably the easiest way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.