Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2007
I use MX on Android. When I change over is there an equivalent on iOS? It religiously plays almost everything I can throw at it, regardless of the size or oddball format. Everything from a Blu-Ray rip to a Tubemate LQ video.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
Maybe

I use MX on Android. When I change over is there an equivalent on iOS? It religiously plays almost everything I can throw at it, regardless of the size or oddball format. Everything from a Blu-Ray rip to a Tubemate LQ video.

Im not too familiar with android or mx, but you may want to see if StreamToMe or VLC might work well for you.

Good luck.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

I'd go for GoodPlayer, but remember, it's much more battery efficient to playback videos in a format that supports hardware acceleration (.mp4/.m4v h.264). Otherwise the phone has to decode in software, which really kills battery life.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
VLC apparently got pulled from the App Store a while ago for violating some licence agreement or something (I'm no expert...). It's available to download from Cydia if you're jailbroken, otherwise you will have to opt for another player.

I was lucky and got VLC while it was available and have had no problems with it.

I've not tried Goodplayer so can't comment on it, but others seem to think it's good.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

Look at AcePlayer. I use it a lot.

You'll get better performance and battery life (on either Android or iOS, anything on an ARM SoC) if you use compliant H.264 video files. Handbrake can help with that.

Features
1.Support almost any video formats: WMV, AVI, MKV, RMVB, RM, XVID, MP4, 3GP, MPG...
2.Support almost any audio formats: MP3, WMA, RM, ACC, OGG, APE, FLAC,FLV...
3.Support smi, srt, ass, ssa, sub txt subtitle.
4.Use iTunes to sync movies to AcePlayer.
5.Easily Wi-Fi transfer to download media files from PC to your ios devices.
6.Build-in Open Url Client to support HTTP, FTP, MMS, RTSP, SMB, RTP streaming.
7.Build-in UPnP Client to stream/download media files from most of all UPnP/DLNA media servers.
8.Build-in FTP Client to stream/download media files from FTP Servers(Note: stream only for PASV mode).
9.Build-in Samba Client to stream/download media files from Samba Servers.
10.Build-in file manager supported: move files from folder to folder,file delete,file rename,folder creation,folder delete.
11.Build-in file downloader. You can download files from FTP/Samba/UPnP Servers, and resume or pause downloads.
12.Multi playlist supported: you can create playlist and and media file to playlist, and every folder is automatically made as a playlist.
13."Open In" feature supported: open video and audio files from Mail email attachments and Safari Web browser.
14. aceplayer://URL scheme.
15.iPad 2 dual core decoding supported.For iPad 2,dual-core of A5 chip could be used to decode at the same time.
16.TV out support.
17.AirPlay supported(Note: only for QuickTime plugin).
18.Buid-in photo viewer to support:jpeg, jpg, png, bmp...
19.It can play music in the background mode, so that build your playlist, you can us it as a music player.
20. You can set password for your folder in the documents, just click the button on the right of the folder.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
I use YaPlayer and like it just fine. I nabbed it while it was free last month.

----------

You'll get better performance and battery life (on either Android or iOS, anything on an ARM SoC) if you use compliant H.264 video files. Handbrake can help with that.

Transcoding does have an effect on the quality of the video, which while not necessarily noticeable on the iPhone is on the iPad.

Still conserving battery life is a valid concern, but comes with a trade off. :D

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Look at AcePlayer. I use it a lot.

If you're gonna use handbrake to convert - might as well just convert to mp4 and play off the stock video player.....excellent quality and battery life....no need to spend any money.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not if you were smart to keep the app when it was avaliable. Not really outdated, I have tried with the standard codecs, still works great.
Realistically that's much more like, "Not if you were able to get the app when it was avaliable.", which doesn't apply to all that many people really.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Not if you were smart to keep the app when it was avaliable. Not really outdated, I have tried with the standard codecs, still works great.

It's crashing when trying to leave a video when you finish since iOS 6, I'm looking at dropping it. I am starting to use playerxtreme, but it's not universal. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.