Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
Good evening,

Since most new major software releases from apple have had massive battery issues until the it was fixed with maintainance updates I was wondering if someone knows how the battery life is on an iPhone 4s with the new iOS 6.
Im not going to upgrade if it turns out I will have like a couple hours worse battery life then with 5.1.1.
Just wondering if there is any info on this

Cheers

crimmond

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Awful

I'm disappointed to report that the battery life has gotten noticeably worse on my iPhone 4S after the iOS 6 upgrade. I used to be able to go out the whole day, take and post pictures, view maps and browse a ton of content online on one charge. After the upgrade (I cringe to even call it that) the phone used up half its battery by sitting idle on my desk for 4 hours. Anyone knows a safe way to downgrade back to 5.1.1?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
As for me, my battery life on my 4S has been doing great. I don't see any drainage problem with 6.0. It has been the same since 5.1.1

DArsenault

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Boston, MA
Battery life on the 4 is terrible. Since i've upgraded my phone drains rapidly when it's not even in use. My phone dropped from about 63 percent to 30 percent in a about an hour of just sitting on my desk unused.

tbarney

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2012
It would appear to me as well that battery drain on iOS 6 is more than on 5.1.1. I recall seeing the same issue after upgrade to 5.1.1 however.

SinkOrSwim

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
California
I'm disappointed to report that the battery life has gotten noticeably worse on my iPhone 4S after the iOS 6 upgrade. I used to be able to go out the whole day, take and post pictures, view maps and browse a ton of content online on one charge. After the upgrade (I cringe to even call it that) the phone used up half its battery by sitting idle on my desk for 4 hours. Anyone knows a safe way to downgrade back to 5.1.1?

--- Yes. Do a search on your iTunes folder and look for .ipsw.

TSKY74

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2012
My batt life on the 4 seems normal. Side note, seems to make my 4 run a little faster and smoother. Or maybe it's just me.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I had some issues yesterday...was dropping about 1% every 3 minutes or so during usage, but was fine on standby. Don't know what was going on. When I went to bed, I had just shy of 3 hours of usage from last full charge, but was down to 17%.

This morning, since I've woken up after a full recharge, though, it's been fine. Wonder if it just needs to calibrate the battery. I've not had 45 minutes of usage and 1hr 45 standby, and it's at 93%, which while not amazing, is fine, since a lot of that usage was app downloading and installing, some games, etc.

guineapig

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2011
Italy
This morning I noticed an extremely low battery usage on my 4S (yesterday night 100% and I took it off the charger, this morning was still 100% after being all night with wifi and 3G on. After a good 15 minutes of use, it dropped to 99% and now is 88% with 1h25 minutes of use (with 3G off).

Yesterday I updated to 6 from 6 beta4 (not even 5.1.1...) and I can say that this is really great. Let's hope it stays this way!

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Good evening,

Since most new major software releases from apple have had massive battery issues until the it was fixed with maintainance updates I was wondering if someone knows how the battery life is on an iPhone 4s with the new iOS 6.
Im not going to upgrade if it turns out I will have like a couple hours worse battery life then with 5.1.1.
Just wondering if there is any info on this

Cheers
I reported this issue to apple during the GM build; I guess apple can't be bothered to fix bugs prior to releasing an OS update

sohaloh

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2012
London, Ontario
My battery has been amazing on iOS 6. Almost 25% better than iOS 5.1.1. I do suggest people manage their push notifications. One thing I think most people misunderstand with push notifications is that even getting an icon badge is form of push notification. So if you have 115 apps like me, and even if the notifications don't show up in the notification center but youre having every app update with badge icons then your phone is constantly connected and recieving those notifications.

I suggest leave only those apps that you need notifications for in the notification center. If you like app badges on some important apps leave those on. But for all other non essential apps, turn off badge notifications including everything else. You'll see an improvement in battery life.

Duncan Idaho

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Upgraded both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4S last night. iPad battery life is as before on iOS 5. My iPhone was terrible. Fully charged by 1am. By 5am I'd lost 25% of the charge simply in standby. By 9am down to 42% with the phone only being used to check Twitter and FB a couple of times.

Tried the usual suspects ie 3G/Cellular data. Did hard reset also. Eventually went through Notifications. Switching off Passbook seemed to correct the issue for me. Lost only 12% since. Going to let it drain fully and then another hard reset as auto brightness I think may be an issue as well.

First time in all 4 iPhones I've had that encountered a battery issue. I know this was a problem after iOS 5 but I never had that one. For completeness I had to connect iPhone to iTunes as I didn't have the requisite 2.5GB free space. My iPad was updated OTA.

Hope this helps anyone having similar problems.

hamlin

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I have the iPhone 4 and my battery has gotten pretty bad with iOS 6. In a typical day I would send out a decent amount of texts, check facebook etc and at the end of the work day I would have at least 60-70% batter remaining with screen brightness at half and location services on. This morning I have sent roughly 10 texts and my phone is already at 80% battery life. I am not sure what is going on here...

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Mine is much better. It seems like after the official release, and the App Store getting all settled down with all the changes, my 4S has improved. Can't wait to see how the 5 will do!! :D

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
hmmm interesting
seems like some have problems and some dont.
i upgraded my ipad 2 first this morning to briefly see if there is any directly noticable difference, there wasnt any so i thought what the hell and upgraded my 4s aswell.
everything seems ok so far so im happy :)
2 users said auto brightness doesnt work, i never use it so i havnt tested it. any one else noticed something?

lets get more reports here :)

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
I never enable push notifications or bluetooth. My battery life hasn't been good. 2 hours, 18 minutes usage and 4 hours, 14 minutes standby since the last full charge this morning and I'm already at 45%.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
My iPhone 4 went from 100% to 90% after about an hour of sitting idle. I plugged it back in to recharge it. I did a hard restart by holding down the home and hold button. I turned off ALL Location services and quit almost every running app and turned off bluetooth. Lastly, I knocked the brightness down just a bit. It's been about an hour since I unplugged it and it's still at 100%. So it seems to be one of these things that is the source of the battery issue.

majuha

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
Barcelona
Here is my first status after installing iOS6 last night and charged to 100%:

Current battery: 41%
Usage: 5h, 52min
Standby:23h, 55min

Have been on Wifi all day, playing around with Camera, Maps, Apps, Safari etc. I'm on a 4S.

I guess it's quite acceptable, I've never experienced bad battery on my iPhone.

TOMIMOT

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Canada
Here is my first status after installing iOS6 last night and charged to 100%:

Current battery: 41%
Usage: 5h, 52min
Standby:23h, 55min

Have been on Wifi all day, playing around with Camera, Maps, Apps, Safari etc. I'm on a 4S.

I guess it's quite acceptable, I've never experienced bad battery on my iPhone.

After a full charge I was at 100% went to work texted a little maybe 15 texts or less

Current battery 13%
Usage 4 hours 57 min
Standby 15 hours 39 min

Yours seems to be better than mine. I'd usually be around 50% right about now, so I don't think it's acceptable, my screen brightness is below half!

The-Pro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Germany
still mixed reports

i updated to 6, yesterday at about 4 pm. battery was at 90% when i unplugged it.
i was playing with the new siri commands trying maps, looking at all the new features that are available, writting here etc. not much usage, maybe and hour or two (usage report wasnt genetated because iphone wasnt charged fully), till now it was on standby, battery still ad 50%. thats very good i think. i did close all apps and stuff like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.