Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I'm getting ready to wipe clean my 4S to ship out to NextWorth but I'd like to get all my text messages off of it and save, anyone know of the best way to go about this?

(I setup my iPhone 5 as new instead of restore from backup since my 4S was jailbroken, wanted to start clean)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Perhaps backing up to iCloud, and restoring from iCloud?

Probably backs up less junk than an iTunes restore.

(information based off of nothing though)

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Unfortunately text messages aren't part of the iCloud backup.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California
I'm getting ready to wipe clean my 4S to ship out to NextWorth but I'd like to get all my text messages off of it and save, anyone know of the best way to go about this?

(I setup my iPhone 5 as new instead of restore from backup since my 4S was jailbroken, wanted to start clean)

If you are on a Mac and want to download previous messages to your computer and save them that way, PhoneView will do it. It will also allow you to copy them back into your phone.
Disclaimer: I've not done it with an iPhone 5, but have with a 4 and 4s

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Wow for real? And I should be able to import them into my new phone? That would be awesome...gotta go look into it.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
If you are on a Mac and want to download previous messages to your computer and save them that way, PhoneView will do it. It will also allow you to copy them back into your phone.
Disclaimer: I've not done it with an iPhone 5, but have with a 4 and 4s

Wow man thanks for letting me know about that software, it seems great! About to download the 7 day demo to try it out but I'll probably buy the whole thing as it seems really useful from what I've read so far.

As for doing a backup from iCloud...I've already setup my iPhone 5 the way I want it, dont' really want to redo the whole thing with a new restore.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
If you use iTunes to backup your 4S, it should store them in the backup.

And how do I get them from the backup and onto the new iPhone.

Unfortunately the PhoneView didn't work out as I thought it would, and I spent the $29. It allows you to download all the texts, but you can't upload them to another device, just save them on the computer.

Martin Murphy

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Just visited Apple store re missing text messages

Hi Guys

We upgraded to iPhone 5 from 4S and text messages will only come across if you back up through iTunes, they will not come across from iCloud, iCloud does not keep a back up of your text messages. Also be very very careful of backing up through iTunes, once you back up your old phone make absolutely certain that it did in fact back up. Check this before you wipe your old phone. We just lost all our messages as the back up did not take properly so when we restored to the new iphone5, all we had was messages up to October 2011 from the last time we changed the phone from 4 to 4S.
I think there are issues with iTunes as my back up of the latest iPad does not show either?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
it does a cool save to pdf for archiving and searching on your mac later on :cool:

wildonrio

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2008
No software program needed! iCloud backs up all your text messages and puts them on your new phone. I just did it. Didn't even touch iTunes.

1. Backup to iCloud using previous iPhone.
2. Restore from iCloud on iPhone 5.
3. All text messages will be there.

I am seeing ones from 2008. I can scroll down for days.

GravityEyes

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2007
Nashville, TN
Decipher Textmessages is a nice app. It will pull archives from any and all of your iTunes backups. It does not restore them to your phone, however.

robertk328

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
No software program needed! iCloud backs up all your text messages and puts them on your new phone. I just did it. Didn't even touch iTunes.

1. Backup to iCloud using previous iPhone.
2. Restore from iCloud on iPhone 5.
3. All text messages will be there.

I am seeing ones from 2008. I can scroll down for days.

What if you only want text messages restored? iCloud needs the option to do a selective restore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.