Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-FlyAuburn-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Disclaimer: I'm not a developer so I have no idea what it does or doesn't take to re-code an App for a larger screen size.

Having said that is it really all that difficult? Maybe I'm just impatient or my expectations were off, but I feel like:

1. More Devs/Apps should have been ready with day one updates for the new screen size.

2. After a couple of days I would have expected more updates to start rolling out and it seems like there are almost none....

So what gives? Any devs have any insight on this?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
You should know by now that a lot of companys/developers take changes like these to render useless your current app and release a extra new and "improved" version; the reputable ones dont do these but keep an eye.

monchote

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
I am the developer of Achording Tabs and my app was iPhone 5 ready from day 1.

For most of the apps that are not games, all it should take is to add a new 4'' splash screen image and the app automatically expands to fill the screen. Of course, then it takes a fair amount of testing and maybe polish a few rough edges but not much more.

As I said, updating games to the new resolution is a much more involved thing because the OS doesn't do much for you, but I'm still disappointed on how few apps have actually been updated.

hishat

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
United Kingdom
I am the developer of Achording Tabs and my app was iPhone 5 ready from day 1.

For most of the apps that are not games, all it should take is to add a new 4'' splash screen image and the app automatically expands to fill the screen. Of course, then it takes a fair amount of testing and maybe polish a few rough edges but not much more.

As I said, updating games to the new resolution is a much more involved thing because the OS doesn't do much for you, but I'm still disappointed on how few apps have actually been updated.

I fully agree, apps such as whatsapp and a few others really doesn't need much recoding to release an updated version to fit the new screen sizes.

Completely ridiculous in my opinion and high-end developers should be hanging their heads in shame at the time its taken to address such issues.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
I'm amazed that some smaller vendors were ready from the beginning, but what about Zynga? I'm sure they have a legion of coders but none of their apps are ready yet. I'm still waiting for Words With Friends for the iPhone 5. :rolleyes:

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
I've had a lot of my apps updated, though most games still haven't been. That's Ok...I understand that takes some time. I don't understand why something like Tapatalk hasn't been updated, though. From the sounds of it, it should be one of those easy autoexpanding type programs.

Actually, that's the last of my daily use apps that hasn't been updated. All the rest are either games or things I only use periodically or for short bursts, so they're less of a concern to me.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Most of mine are updated but I wasn't bothered because I don't own an iPhone 5.

duke5021

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
NJ
Still waiting on WhatsAPP to update... The freaking space bar is driving me crazy because its not at the bottom of the screen

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
I cant believe how slow apps are to update. Kik is the big one i am waiting on. surprised big games aren't updated yet.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Still waiting on WhatsAPP to update... The freaking space bar is driving me crazy because its not at the bottom of the screen

What is driving me crazy is that damm group chat stuff popping everytime you open the app.

monchote

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
It's going to be nearly a month since the iPhone 5 was presented and big apps like WhatsApp, Skype, eBay, Spotify, TuneIn Radio, LinkedIn, Google+, Dropbox, Youtube and many others, still don't support the new 4'' screen.

It's definitely not because the approval process is taking too long (theses days it's about 3 working days).

My bet is that they have decided that is not worth releasing an update to just add support for the new screen and they will release it together with some other new features and bug fixes that they might be working on at the moment.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I'm waiting for Google+, RadarScope, and Weatherbug. Just to name a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.