Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aypues

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2012
San Diego
With any decent nav program I've used, either factory OEM on cars, or purchased in the app store, ALL of them have a Night Mode (dark graphics) to make it easier on your eyes when using navigation at night. I was using Maps to navigate last night and it never went into night mode. Let's add this to the fix list for Apple.

RowdyRude

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
With any decent nav program I've used, either factory OEM on cars, or purchased in the app store, ALL of them have a Night Mode (dark graphics) to make it easier on your eyes when using navigation at night. I was using Maps to navigate last night and it never went into night mode. Let's add this to the fix list for Apple.

Good call on that. That's one of those features you don't even think about till you're being blinded at night by the screen.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Good call on that. That's one of those features you don't even think about till you're being blinded at night by the screen.

Perhaps if they were the first ones to build or develop a Nav, but, considering that nearly all nav systems released in the past 10 years automatically switch at sundown, it's a pretty big omission... but, then again, they omitted entire cities so I guess it's par for course.

formulatwo

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
Good catch.....When I first got the NAV in my car it was on the daylight mode and it was way to bright. Turned it to auto night mode problem solved.

This should be an easy fix.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Triple click the home button. It will invert the colors.

As he said, there is an option on the phone to invert the colors. If it isn't already assigned to the triple click button you can turn it on in the accessibility settings.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
As he said, there is an option on the phone to invert the colors. If it isn't already assigned to the triple click button you can turn it on in the accessibility settings.

This does work and it looks pretty good but the road names a hot pink, pretty ugly IMO.

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
Noticed this last night. The screen was blinding and lighting up the whole car. Here in Canada it's illegal to use any handheld device while driving and I'm sure I would have got pull over if a cop had seen my car lit up like that. +1 for night mode.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

Thanks for that tip! It's not a great solution, but it works for Maps. I would also love a night mode for the entire phone, mainly Music as well. I just went to see what it would look like there and it was on an album with a mostly black cover. It looked like a spotlight app. Well, at least I have a solution for when I use Maps.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Perhaps if they were the first ones to build or develop a Nav, but, considering that nearly all nav systems released in the past 10 years automatically switch at sundown, it's a pretty big omission... but, then again, they omitted entire cities so I guess it's par for course.

My very expensive navigation system in my BMW doesn't automatically switch. It has night mode but not automatic. It has been a topic on BMW forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Maps isn't really made to be an in-car GPS replacement at this point. Both it and Google Maps suck at routing and rarely send you the fastest way to a destination. If you want something for in-car GPS, stick with TomTom, Garmin, or one of the other apps.

----------

My very expensive navigation system in my BMW doesn't automatically switch. It has night mode but not automatic. It has been a topic on BMW forums.

Thats strange. My older Acrua does automatically when the headlights are turned on although I have it set to always be at daytime brightness.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I didn't even think about that until a few nights ago when I was driving home from college. I hadn't tested Apple navigation on a long trip yet, so I set up my Garmin and my iPhone 5 on my dash. At first I was impressed and actually preferred the navigation over my Garmin, that is until the sun went down. My Garmin switched in to "Night Mode," which even for me feels a little too bright. However, the iPhone practically lit up my car, I turned the brightness down as much as possible, eventually I stopped navigation and took it down. Huge problem in my opinion, this feature has been around since the first GPS I owned, automatic or manual.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Maps isn't really made to be an in-car GPS replacement at this point.

Ummm...that's exactly what it is for.

And it has worked incredibly well (at least in the US) for me on all my travels....I prefer it over my Garmin from both a visual and speed standpoint.

Night mode was a big miss and I can't believe it isn't being worked on as we speak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.