Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

helios410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
NYC
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a armband holder for the iPhone 5. Anyone have any experience with some that they care to share?

I hope to find one that I can easily remove from the armband, and can access the screen easily.

Thanks.

ejisfun

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2011
Do you use it for anything other than music? I know some runners will use gps tracking and whatnot, but if you don't do that I highly recommend just grabbing a 2nd gen shuffle off ebay for 20ish bucks.

helios410

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2009
NYC
Do you use it for anything other than music? I know some runners will use gps tracking and whatnot, but if you don't do that I highly recommend just grabbing a 2nd gen shuffle off ebay for 20ish bucks.

Good point—I do use GPS tracking on my runs. However, I see the more recent generations of nanos have an accelerometer, which would suffice. It's something worth looking into...

neotope

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
Good point—I do use GPS tracking on my runs. However, I see the more recent generations of nanos have an accelerometer, which would suffice. It's something worth looking into...

I think going from GPS Tracking using something like Run Keeper you would sorely disappointed in the Nanos capabilities.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I was about to post the same thread. I'm also looking for an iPhone 5 armband. Preferably one that fits the iPhone in a candyshell. I like to use the gps tracking and/or nike app so the nano wouldn't suffice

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
I think going from GPS Tracking using something like Run Keeper you would sorely disappointed in the Nanos capabilities.
The other option is a GPS watch + a nano or shuffle. Beginning to cost more but.

jbrettz

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2008
St Louis
This brand was recommended in a runner's mag. check the company website for all of the alternatives.

Armpocket® Aero i-10 "The Ultimate Armband" - Medium Strap Fits 10-15 inch upper arms - Comfortably and Securely carries most phones, music players, ID, keys, credit cards and more -Carry More, Hands-Free

You can buy on Amazon.

Brett

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
This brand was recommended in a runner's mag. check the company website for all of the alternatives.

Armpocket® Aero i-10 "The Ultimate Armband" - Medium Strap Fits 10-15 inch upper arms - Comfortably and Securely carries most phones, music players, ID, keys, credit cards and more -Carry More, Hands-Free

You can buy on Amazon.

Brett

That seems like a good idea if you are truly running outside. I use mine in the gym and use it to listen to Pandora radio among other things.

I did buy a nike forearm sleeve which I haven't tested yet but it isn't a perfect fit due to being originally for the iphone 4 design.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
How could you guys have your precocious iPhone attached to your sweaty arm while running:eek:

Lol

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
I use this one from Nike http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-581614 $30

They also have a full arm one that goes over your elbow http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-581613 $40

I love it. I use it with the Nike+ GPS app and the screen orientation allows me to look down and see everything real quick and easy. Lot better than if the band was around my bicep. No issues with sweat for me.

It was made for the 4 or 4S, but I have used it recently on a 5 mile run with my 5. It just cuts off the bottom row of apps a little...but not to the point of being useless. I will continue to use it until they come out with a new one.

StvPtrsn

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010

You can buy on Amazon.

Brett

I have this and love it. Most comfortable arm band of the 3 or 4 I've tried. The memory foam padding makes a huge comfort difference. Can be found at Best Buy sometimes. That's where I got mine. My 5 is arriving tomorrow so will see then how well it fits.

Steve

MiamiBourne

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I have this and love it. Most comfortable arm band of the 3 or 4 I've tried. The memory foam padding makes a huge comfort difference. Can be found at Best Buy sometimes. That's where I got mine. My 5 is arriving tomorrow so will see then how well it fits.

Steve

I tried the Armpocket but I don't like that it doesn't have a hole the iPhone 5 headset. You can turn it upside down but don't like how the zipper is the only way for the headphone cable to come out of.

However it does fit my iPhone with Incipio Frequency case perfectly and it feels like a quality piece.

My OCD wants to try other options though. So I'm trying the Tune Belt http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Belt-Spo...UTF8&qid=1349303172&sr=8-5&keywords=tune+belt

panda bear

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a armband holder for the iPhone 5. Anyone have any experience with some that they care to share?

I hope to find one that I can easily remove from the armband, and can access the screen easily.

Thanks.

I have a Belkin EaseFit Armband
http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=666299

250.jpg

It was the first accessory I ordered for my new phone.

It's made out of a meshy material and fits the phone pretty well. It's easy to use the touch screen through the screen cover. The phone fits well, but the top of the phone isn't completely covered, so if it were to start raining a bit, I wouldn't trust the armband to keep it dry.

It isn't the best armband i've ever used, but certainly isn't the worst. It's comfortable enough. I haven't completely stopped looking for another armband, but if I don't find another one, I won't be too disappointed. It's definitely worth $20

This is what I was using for my 4
417uKoslZEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/igadgitz-Resi...788&sr=8-2&keywords=igadgitz+armband+iphone+5

It was kind of cheap, but it held the phone very securely and when it rained, I felt okay leaving the phone inside of it. It was fairly comfortable and didn't slip. If they made another one of those (I haven't even really looked to see) for the iPhone 5, i'd probably buy one and see how I like it.

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
I had the Belkin EaseFit Plus preordered from Amazon, but just recently cancelled my order after the first reviewer reported sweat seeping through and killing her new iPhone 5...

Still looking...

(The Armpocket just looks so bulky...)

I also purchased the Belkin Easefit Plus. After my first run (6 miles), I took my iPhone out and it was pretty soaked with sweat that had leaked through the back. Also, because there is no flap that goes over the iPhone once it's inserted in the armband, the top is left pretty exposed. I promptly returned it.

I picked up an Incase Sports Armband (I think that's the name) and it seems like it will be better. I haven't run with it yet, but it indeed has a large flap that will cover the top, at least.

EDIT: Now that I think about it...the exposed top, combined with the heat from my arm may actually be the culprit of the moisture inside. Regardless, not a good thing.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
I also purchased the Belkin Easefit Plus. After my first run (6 miles), I took my iPhone out and it was pretty soaked with sweat that had leaked through the back. Also, because there is no flap that goes over the iPhone once it's inserted in the armband, the top is left pretty exposed. I promptly returned it.

I picked up an Incase Sports Armband (I think that's the name) and it seems like it will be better. I haven't run with it yet, but it indeed has a large flap that will cover the top, at least.

EDIT: Now that I think about it...the exposed top, combined with the heat from my arm may actually be the culprit of the moisture inside. Regardless, not a good thing.

Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated in this thread on your experience with the Incase.

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the info. Please keep us updated in this thread on your experience with the Incase.

OK,

Just got back from a 4 mile run with my new Incase Sports Armband. I'm pleased to say it performed perfectly!

The iPhone fits perfectly, and the headphone hole lines up well. The flap that covers the top of the iPhone and folds in is quite long and definitely adds a sense of protection from the elements.

It fits on my arm great: snug, but not too tight. Perfectly comfortable.

And most importantly: After my run, the back of the armband that was against my arm was soaked with sweat, but my iPhone was kept 100% dry!

It's a keeper!

Here's a link: Incase Sports Armband for iPhone 5

Last edited:

GodOfThunder000

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
OK,

Just got back from a 4 mile run with my new Incase Sports Armband. I'm pleased to say it performed perfectly!

The iPhone fits perfectly, and the headphone hole lines up well. The flap that covers the top of the iPhone and folds in is quite long and definitely adds a sense of protection from the elements.

It fits on my arm great: snug, but not too tight. Perfectly comfortable.

And most importantly: After my run, the back of the armband that was against my arm was soaked with sweat, but my iPhone was kept 100% dry!

It's a keeper!

Here's a link: Incase Sports Armband for iPhone 5

do you have a case on your phone?
Would you be able to fit a phone with a case in the armband?

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California

Steve

He mentions that it can hold keys,cards, etc.. but their site doesnt mention that. Can you clarify that? I would have ordered the Sport one, but it doesnt fit the iphone 5. I just need to be able to fit keys and small items for short hikes, etc.

msmith2112

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2002
do you have a case on your phone?
Would you be able to fit a phone with a case in the armband?

Yes. I have a Belkin Candy Grip Sheer and it fits just fine. It's a little tighter then a naked iPhone, but it definitely works. I've used it both ways and it works great! I don't think it would work on much bulkier cases, though.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
i went to bestbuy to try out the arm pocket. Found out that the hadphone port on the case is located on the bottom right hand side, which means it won't work with the iPhone 5.

OverSpun

macrumors 65816
Sep 12, 2006
California
I spoke with Armpocket via email today-

As some know (noted on their site) that the i-20 Sport does NOT work with the iPhone 5 from the size. They have told me that they are redesigning/updating the Sport so that it can accommodate the iPhone 5.

I suppose I'm waiting for the Sport at the moment.

StvPtrsn

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
He mentions that it can hold keys,cards, etc.. but their site doesnt mention that. Can you clarify that? I would have ordered the Sport one, but it doesnt fit the iphone 5. I just need to be able to fit keys and small items for short hikes, etc.

Very late response but the 5 fits in it fine with some room to spare. That's without a case. Might be a tight fit depending on the case. There is a pocket behind the phone that would work fine for cards/keys.

steve

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Do most/some/all/none armband holders allow the iphone to fit in them, when you normally keep it in its own case for normal use and don't want to have to pull it out of its case to fit into an armband holder? Thanks!

This may have been addressed all ready, my apologies if it has, missed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.