Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Don't do it. I found a dead pixel in mine, and now after 4x replacements I have a pink and green mess of an iPad.

Gazelle for $500? Yea it's about the best ill get for it. I'll take dead pixels over these trash replacements. 2x DKs and 2x DMPHs. Heavy yellowing on one side or green and pink rainbow screens. Take your pick.

It's 2012, and after my experience with the retina macbook pros, iPhone 5s and these iPads... Apple is pretty much done. Produce masses to feed the mass demand, end up playing the lottery to find one gem out of a dozen trash units.

Worst part is that there is still utterly no competition for apple products. We don't even have a choice but to take our chances getting something apple made or just accept a gigantic plastic pile of software and hardware turd from Samsung, Microsoft, or any of their partners.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I have yet to see a defective iPad...anywhere...and I see lots of them since we issue them at work.

Sorry but I have a hard time believing these types of threads.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Here is proof then (see attached photos)

There is light bleed at the bottom edge (see photo). This combined with the above mentioned chip in the corner of the aluminum shell makes for a great brand new iPad 3 purchase this afternoon.
The light bleed is blackened out (during a movie etc). It lights up the top and bottom black letter boxes during movies and adds a sunset pink tint to it as well.

Games are unplayable (especially Metal Storm) - it can't keep a steady frame rate, it's choppy all over the place and has already frozen once and required a hard reset

When they said the new iPad retina was magical, I didn't know they meant the screen was like a rainbow. I'm still wondering where the lucky pot of gold is, because I deserve a handful for the amount of gas I've wasted driving back and forth to the Apple Store only to be told "I don't see the defect, but out of good faith we will replace it". To me, that's a micro-settlement.

Apple should retrofit it's iPad 2 line (new and refurb) with 4G. I would likely jump on that opportunity because these Retina screens have the quality control equivalent of a McDonald's Happy Meal toy

Attachments

• photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    461.3 KB · Views: 475
  • ipad 3 screen bottom edge - light bleed.JPG
    ipad 3 screen bottom edge - light bleed.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 543
Last edited:

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I have yet to see a defective iPad...anywhere...and I see lots of them since we issue them at work.

Well it's like the genius, they also don't see the defective iPads but I do. We don't all have the same level of color acuity or vision, and I suspect a lot of iPads have uneven screens but are within tolerance or specification for the mass majority of consumers.

My friend who I showed all these iPads too can't tell a difference at all, when its immediately obvious to me. He also has an antiglare protector on his which adds a ton of sparkle and noise and that doesn't bother him at all either.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I honestly think retina happened too early on the iPad.

Too many compromises in QC and design. Apple actually made the iPad THICKER, and it takes forever to charge. Processing performance didn't keep up with 4x the pixels, as has been demonstrated with the iPad 3 being equal or even slower than the iPad 2.

The technology wasn't quite ready IMHO and combine that with the production demand for the most popular tablet in the world, and things are bound to go wrong.

I do love the idea and promise of retina screens, I think it just hit the iPad one generation too early.

That being said, most people do seem happy with their screens, either because they are just fine or don't notice the problems.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
My first "new" iPad had a pink screen. I returned it, asked for refund and bought a new one a while later. My second iPad's screen wasn't pink and looked alright until I started reading text on white backgrounds. It had a very noticeable "dark/yellow corner".

I kept it. The dark corner still bothers me to this day but I decided to just live with it and not participate in the display lottery again.

Look harder or don't look at all.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Woah such a drama queen. Apple is finished lol really please get a life.

I have an iPad 3 with no issues whatsoever.

Argentine86

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2011
I've dropped my iPad once when I took it out of a cover, have since had the SmartCase and has protected it great. The damage has left a chamfered corner, causing the screen to separate from the rear panel by about 1mm, allowing a little pop if i press it in.

Works fine in the SmartCase, yet since I have AppleCare+ I will most likely get a replacement with more time or before the coverage ends. Hope this is just a rare rant and I get a good one when so

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Woah such a drama queen. Apple is finished lol really please get a life.

I have an iPad 3 with no issues whatsoever.

Unlikely. My other new ipad is about the best ipad screen I've ever seen out of the 10 or so I've owned and all the display models.

Even then it has slight red color shift in bottom and slight yellow bleed on sides.

Some people simply don't have the ability to see these things due to physiological differences I suspect in visual discernment.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I bought an iPad 3 on launch day. A stuck pixel appeared a couple of months later. Had it replaced. Red stuck pixel out of the box. Replaced again. A LOT OF dust under the screen. Replaced again. Dead pixel. Replaced again. A tiny thing (dust?) under the screen next to a corner. Decided to live with that.

So... Kind of understand you. But I also noticed that none of the people I showed my iPad to saw any kind of problem with it.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
Here is proof then (see attached photos)

There is light bleed at the bottom edge (see photo). This combined with the above mentioned chip in the corner of the aluminum shell makes for a great brand new iPad 3 purchase this afternoon.
The light bleed is blackened out (during a movie etc). It lights up the top and bottom black letter boxes during movies and adds a sunset pink tint to it as well.

Games are unplayable (especially Metal Storm) - it can't keep a steady frame rate, it's choppy all over the place and has already frozen once and required a hard reset

When they said the new iPad retina was magical, I didn't know they meant the screen was like a rainbow. I'm still wondering where the lucky pot of gold is, because I deserve a handful for the amount of gas I've wasted driving back and forth to the Apple Store only to be told "I don't see the defect, but out of good faith we will replace it". To me, that's a micro-settlement.

Apple should retrofit it's iPad 2 line (new and refurb) with 4G. I would likely jump on that opportunity because these Retina screens have the quality control equivalent of a McDonald's Happy Meal toy

all this proves is your unbelievably anal. neither of those pictures are "return worthy" in my eyes.

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
all this proves is your unbelievably anal. neither of those pictures are "return worthy" in my eyes.

Lol! And to me they look like a unit that is trash that isn't worth recycling.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I work for a very large international company. The complex where my main office is located holds hundreds of engineers and other staff. Many of my friends and counterparts in the lab are Apple enthusiasts.

I see all kinds of Apple laptops, pads, pods, and phones. My point? Nearly every single refurbished product that I've seen has been just like new. Apple is not perfect (who is?) but I will say they have a refurbished program that's one of the finest I know of.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
Just requested to return my iPad off - after an issue with the home green button, might go to a retail store and get it done there and then. So I can see the results of a refurbished model.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I've yet to see a pink or yellow hued iPad and I have 20/20 vision. I'm sure defective iPads exist, but I feel they are more rare than threads like this suggest.

I'm guessing that those in certain fields like photography may notice subtle differences that others cannot perceive--maybe. Are there competing tablets that don't have this problem? Buy it.

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
Backlight bleeding, depending on how bad it is, is tolerable to some and not so much to others. It's a personal and subjective issue. It may not be an issue to me, but who am I to say if it's an issue for you. Personally I wouldn't have an issue with it based on the photo, and neither does the scratch bother me.

If it bothers you that much then consider your options. My iMac has backlight bleeding as well under really dark conditions, but I don't use it under such environments 99% of the time so I could care less.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
The really amazing part is people are so anal about a blue, yellow or pink color temp in their LCD's but are ignorant to the fact LG, Sharp, Japan Display (companies making LCD's for Apple) all set their color temps to what they think looks best. These are not defective LCD's, sorry it's your OCD and lack of knowledge, nothing more. Light bleed is annoying but exactly how many times do you stare at a blank, black screen to even see it? OCD maybe? Light bleed has to be pretty damn bad to effect normal use. The pursuit of perfection as you all think is beyond what pretty much any company will ever achieve considering the millions of devices being produced. I'm sorry if your offended, but the OCD wanna be Apple bashers need a reality check. I have seen hundreds of iPad, iPod and iPhone LCD assemblies, more likely thousands as I am in the repair industry and these types of issues are laughable.

The internet is there as a resource and instead of educating yourself about the how, when and why... people would rather stick their head in the sand and cry while screaming foul! :rolleyes:

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
The really amazing part is people are so anal about a blue, yellow or pink color temp in their LCD's but are ignorant to the fact LG, Sharp, Japan Display (companies making LCD's for Apple) all set their color temps to what they think looks best. These are not defective LCD's, sorry it's your OCD and lack of knowledge, nothing more. Light bleed is annoying but exactly how many times do you stare at a blank, black screen to even see it? OCD maybe? Light bleed has to be pretty damn bad to effect normal use. The pursuit of perfection as you all think is beyond what pretty much any company will ever achieve considering the millions of devices being produced. I'm sorry if your offended, but the OCD wanna be Apple bashers need a reality check. I have seen hundreds of iPad, iPod and iPhone LCD assemblies, more likely thousands as I am in the repair industry and these types of issues are laughable.

The internet is there as a resource and instead of educating yourself about the how, when and why... people would rather stick their head in the sand and cry while screaming foul! :rolleyes:

That's a long post whining about people whining. You should find a new hobby.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009

Its not so much the general tint of the screen. It's when the tint is uneven and is noticeably pink in one corner and yellow/green in the other corner. Or the backlighting is uneven with dark blotchy areas on the screen. I've seen many iPads with this problem. I tried 4 "new iPads" and gave up. Bought an iPad 2 instead. The iPad 2 does not have this issue. The iPad 3 does. People will continue to post about this until the problem is fixed.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL

I've deployed over 800 iPads this year and only had 2 that we returned. I lean towards your statement.
1) The touch screen was not responsive at all, couldn't even get the slider to to work to get it from the 'iPad' screen. Apple sent me a shipping box the day after I requested a return, the FedEx girl waited while I placed the iPad in the container and gave it back to her. I received a replacement the next day.
2) The other had a hairline glass crack around the camera. Replaced in two days.

I'd be very frustrated if I was in Mzjin's position as well. Luckily, I know that this is rare and that karma is paying it back or forward. You should buy a lottery ticket, because the odds of something like that happening to the same person 4 times is pretty slim IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.