Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
...and I have a question for the gurus out there. I have never used an android phone and none of my coworkers have Android phones with anything more recent than Froyo. Is there any way that I can explore more recent Android versions online? I would love like a flash based ICS of JB simulator. I just want to get a feel for the interface before I make any kind of move.

Does anything like that exist?

GL

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
You can install the Android SDK for Mac which allows you to download, install and emulate very much any version of Android that has ever been available. You can get it here:

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Or better yet, go and play with a Galaxy S3, a Galaxy Nexus or an HTC One X at a store. It will really allow you to appreciate the devices and the OS. Much better than a simulator.

Hope that helps!

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Just letting you know. The android emulator performs way worse than the real thing. I mean way way worse. The best thing you really can do is go to a verizon store or sprint store and play with their galaxy nexus. You could also try a nexus 7.

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2003
Nothing in store seems to have JB installed though. I am really hoping that the new Nexus phone gets announced sometime this month as rumored.

GL

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Nothing in store seems to have JB installed though. I am really hoping that the new Nexus phone gets announced sometime this month as rumored.

GL

You can always stop by staples and play with a nexus 7. I personally think chrome for android sucks though. The galaxy nexus has the regular android browser which is much better. Google should have gave the nexus 7 it as well. You can install the jellybean browser on the nexus 7 luckily by side loading it or you can install dolphin or boat browser which offer the same speed and smoothness as the jellybean browser.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007

GL

Jelly Bean is available for the Nexus already and it will be released for the S3 this month.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
You can always stop by staples and play with a nexus 7. I personally think chrome for android sucks though. The galaxy nexus has the regular android browser which is much better. Google should have gave the nexus 7 it as well. You can install the jellybean browser on the nexus 7 luckily by side loading it or you can install dolphin or boat browser which offer the same speed and smoothness as the jellybean browser.

Curious as to why?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Curious as to why?

Its very laggy compared to the stock jellybean browser, way less smooth, takes forever to render while scrolling when loading a page. The stock jellybean browser, boat browser, dolphin do not suffer from this and are just as fast and way smoother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.