Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcgeek12345

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2011
New Jersey
I got the message today saying
5eva8yty.jpg

I have tried everything to slim the size of my backup. I've turned all apps off and deleted all iCloud data and existing backups and it still says my next backup will be 4.5 GB!

Why?

8u3a4avy.jpg

bamafever09

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2008
Hoover/Tuscaloosa Alabama
Did you just get a new phone? If you did this might be it... When I went from the 4s to the 5 iCloud kept my old 4s backup after I restored and then also had my 5 backup for some reason. I just went in to where it says manage storage in iCloud settings on the phone and deleted the old one and it freed up what extra space it was using. Hope this helps

Edit: I saw you already tried that I think. Sorry

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
I got the message today saying Image

I have tried everything to slim the size of my backup. I've turned all apps off and deleted all iCloud data and existing backups and it still says my next backup will be 4.5 GB!

Why?

I have had this happen on 2 of the 5 iPhones i currently own. I have tried every tactic recommended by folks on forums & websites. The only solution that worked for me was to restore the phone and start over. Very annoying.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Is this the only device you have attached to that iCloud account?

At one point I had 14 gigs because I had several devices on the same one.

Martyrd0m

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
NJ
Delete your text messages. All photos/videos sent and received at stored and labeled as "other" and that is more then likely your cause. It's what happened to me and clearing my texts out weekly solved the problem.

ctaylor000

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
Ahh, thanks

I wish I'd thought to come here before I bought more iCloud storage in a fit of frustration after I couldn't get rid of the "not enough room to back up" messages. Even after deleting my old backup and removing *everything* from my phone's backup set my backup size was still 8g! Deleting all my old texts -lots of photos and videos I'd forgotten about - did the trick. Backup size is now back to a manageable 2.3 gigs. Thanks for the tip.

Ryesing

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2015
I had the same problem and had success by going into my iCloud system prefs on my mac, deleting all old backups from there as well as on my phone. I then restarted the backup process. My 4.5Gb backup shrunk to a reasonable 1.2Gb and now the math actually adds up.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do a complete backup via iTunes and delete all your backups in the cloud. Then do another backup and see what happens.

Even though I back up to the cloud, I still, once a month, back up to my computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.