Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
USA
I am on year 3 of my 15-inch, 2.53GHz, Mid 2009 macbook pro. The video card is showing its age. Its fans run when I try to watch Netflix. But when looking at the new 15", I only really see an upgrade to the processor and video card.

Will the system be noticeably faster? Or would you wait until the 2009 model poops out before going to the next model?

Thanks!

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Your MacBook Pro is overheating when you're watching Netflix because heat is produced by processing the Netflix videos - If you got a new MacBook Pro it would still take the same amount of resources to process it, therefore the same amount of heat. So there wouldn't really be much point in getting a new laptop.

If you're inconvenienced by your MacBook's loud fans check out this page for advice on how to cool the computer down :)

snoylekim

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
The current MBP will run all processor and graphics tasks much more efficiently than your current 2009 . The base processor available in the current MBP is twice as efficient/ 'fast' ( based on Geekbench) than the 2.53 you're running, and , even without considering the additional graphics, the integrated HD 4000 graphics are more than enough for Netflix, Youtube, Flash in HD .. If you add an SSD to the build ( best way is your own upgrade if so inclined) and 8 Gig of memory , pretty much everything you do will happen much quicker.

I still run a mid 2009 for basic MS Office, Browsing, some light photo and video work, and it's OK .. but I know a current MBP would leave it in the dust . I haven't upgraded because I have other machines to do the heavy lifting, but if the 2009 were my only machine, it soon would not be :)

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Your MacBook Pro is overheating when you're watching Netflix because heat is produced by processing the Netflix videos - If you got a new MacBook Pro it would still take the same amount of resources to process it, therefore the same amount of heat. So there wouldn't really be much point in getting a new laptop.

If you're inconvenienced by your MacBook's loud fans check out this page for advice on how to cool the computer down :)

What? That's not how it works. 2008 Core 2 duo temps with HD Netflix is 75ºC or higher fans on after 30 min. Some dropped frames. CPU hits close to max. And with it power which creates the heat.
New 2.6GHz i7 2012 no fans temps under 60ºC always. plenty of headroom. Running it in Windows 45ºC. Less than 5% CPU use. 25nm makes a great difference on heat and power consumption. You also have 200% CPU available in Core 2 duo and 800% available in i7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.