Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
When I first upgraded to Mountain Lion, Messages worked flawlessly. I had my friends start texting me to my email address instead of phone number, and I was able to freely converse using my phone or Mac; messages were perfectly sync'd between my devices. Every single message sent to my phone also went to my Mac, and vice versa.

I've noticed that now, messages are "missing". Often, I will have a conversation on my phone, come to my Mac, and many of the messages do not sync. So, I can't continue the conversation there. This problem is rendering Messages virtually useless for me. If I can't guarantee that I am receiving messages, then I can't use it.

Nothing has changed in my configuration. This became frequent around the time of the iPhone 5 release, so I wonder if Apple's iMessage servers are overloaded. Prior to this, Messages would sync everything, although frequently, the messages would appear in the wrong order. I have searched in case Messages is just putting the missing messages sometime in the past, but no, they just do not exist.

I have all three of my email addresses and phone number configured to receive iMessages. I only really chat with two people, and they both have theirs configured properly as well. This isn't a case of someone texting the wrong address or something. Apple's servers, or the Messages for Mac software, just isn't syncing properly.

Anyone else having this problem?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've been getting some odd issues with Messages as well.

In some cases I get the txt with Messages and not my phone and other cases I get some txts in Messages but not all.

Just yesterday my wife was sending me pictures of her and the kids at apple picking. The first txt came through on my phone and Messages but subsequent txts (within minutes of the first txt) never made it to Messages. It did come through on my phone though

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i just disabled messages on my mac. even with the app closed, some messages don't make it to my phone...and i discover them much later when i open the app on the mac.

useless if messages don't come to my phone when i'm running around, and i have to get them later.

williamcmoran

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
@dcorban

I'm having this exact same issue and I can't seem to find a fix to it. Disappearing messages and messages being out of order. Do you think it's something that we have set up incorrectly? I've checked all the settings a billion times and don't think it's that. Any ideas? The only thing I seem to be able to do is to restart messages on my mac and it seems to fix the issue. What a hassle to do that though. Did you ever find a solution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.