Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nikcoleman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2012
Okay before I start this thread can I say I'm not going mad... not yet.

Quick description - this ISNT a huge problem but it's baffling me like that old 'how do you get a fox, a hen and a bag of grain across a river' brain teaser.

I have two internet connections into the house / business. Both have a router and wireless base station (wireless router). ONE of them has a cable connection to my edit suite, which also has a wireless base station. That then cables to my 3xMac Pro, it's 192.168.0.2

The other one terminates at the wireless router and connects to my appletv, and any wireless devices in the house dhcp. They are maybe 2ft apart but no physical connection.

Different names on all three net connections / wireless, different channels etc.

Here's the issue. When connected to the stand alone wireless router in the house, (192.168.0.1) I can see on the network, and connect to, the three Mac Pros in my edit suite. I can't ping 0.1 though.

Very weird. I HAD intended to link the two together, turn off dhcp on one so any machine can use either connection, but before I do that I'd just like to figure out what is connecting them. I've thought through say a phone that's got bluetooth left on and internet sharing, or internet sharing on one of the machines may be on, nope, turned off everywhere. Don't bust a gut folks, it's not big deal, but my brain is fried thinking about it!

All the best

Nik

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
Try using the traceroute command to see the exact path the packets are taking. Just open up Terminal on a computer on network A and type "traceroute <ip of computer on network B>".

diepalme

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
Try using different IP ranges on your routers 10.0.0.... and 192.168.0.....

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
IP Scanner allows you to see what is on your network, it shows both IP numbers and the names of the devices, try it, if you see all devices on both networks there is some kind of connection.

I suspect one of those devices on the stand alone have links to both of them.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
So they are all Macs?
Do you see them all in Finder under Shared?

Just tossing this out.

Do you have Screen Sharing enabled? I can see all of my Office Macs on my Home Macs and vice versa and they are miles apart.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.