Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I've been doing a lot of retouching for friends' photos/sites etc and would like to have a Wacom. Tired of using my Magic Trackpad for masking /composites.

I saw many varieties in the store and it seemed like they had so many functions and was a bit overwhelming. I'm not a pro by any means and I'm certainly not an illustrator. Which model do you think would suit me?

Would love to use the iPad as a Cintiq. Adobe and Wacom should team up.

Turn the iPad into a tablet like Cintiq.

This guy is actually doing it. This should work for me as I don't need to worry about pressure sensitivity.

EDIT: Now that I'm over the excitement of using my iPad as a tablet lol I need to choose a Wacom tablet for my new 27" Thunderbolt display. Any suggestions? Which Bamboo tablet would be best for Photoshop masking and compositing work? It looks like they're all the same except for the included software and the Bamboo Create is larger. Other than that, the lower models seem to be about the same. Should I get Bamboo Capture?

Last edited:

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
"It doesn’t have all the benefits of a graphic tablet such as the cintiq because there’s no pressure sensitivity ..." this is the thing you will miss the most when using the iPad. It limits the things you can do with masks and other tools quite much.

If you want to buy a wacom tablet for a 27" display, buy one as large as you can afford. Since the space of the tablet is mapped to the size of the screen the smaller bamboos will not be very useful, because you will have a hard time to work precisely.

At least get this one:
http://www.wacom.com/en/products/bamboo/bambootablets/bamboocreate.aspx

Better spend $200 on something really useful than $100 on something that is likely to collect dust. :)

Last but not least there will be a little bit of a learning curve, since you draw somewhere and look somewhere else. I underestimated this when I bought my first wacom a couple of years ago. The first week I cursed myself for spending the money, but I soon started to love it and now I use it for everything and almost don't need a mouse anymore.

It really boosts the things you can do with photoshop to the next level.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
"It doesn’t have all the benefits of a graphic tablet such as the cintiq because there’s no pressure sensitivity ..." this is the thing you will miss the most when using the iPad. It limits the things you can do with masks and other tools quite much.

If you want to buy a wacom tablet for a 27" display, buy one as large as you can afford. Since the space of the tablet is mapped to the size of the screen the smaller bamboos will not be very useful, because you will have a hard time to work precisely.

At least get this one:
http://www.wacom.com/en/products/bamboo/bambootablets/bamboocreate.aspx

Better spend $200 on something really useful than $100 on something that is likely to collect dust. :)

Last but not least there will be a little bit of a learning curve, since you draw somewhere and look somewhere else. I underestimated this when I bought my first wacom a couple of years ago. The first week I cursed myself for spending the money, but I soon started to love it and now I use it for everything and almost don't need a mouse anymore.

It really boosts the things you can do with photoshop to the next level.
Well I haven't needed sensitivity so far and I'm only using a mouse. I need the tablet for mostly compositing, masking hair, and exposure fixes and things like that. Mostly all photography related stuff. It's getting very tiresome on a magic trackpad so it's time to upgrade.

I agree about the real estate since I'm using a 27". Actually never thought about the mismatch. Glad I posted here ;) However if I'm just doing photo retouching will I really need the Create?

Interesting. Here on Amazon Japan Create comes in black or white; I don't see silver. It's a lot cheaper in Japan that's for sure.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B005PKPQKE/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
I'd suggest using a Create and the iPad if it isn't an either/or option. For the reasons Chaosbunny stated above, pressure sensitivity is one of the two major reason for owning a tablet. If you lack it, you will come to miss it. Greatly.

But you can still use the iPad for trace work, or laying down vector lines. Both of them together won't replace a Cintiq completely, but it is an excellent poor man's alternative.

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
I've been doing a lot of retouching for friends' photos/sites etc and would like to have a Wacom. Tired of using my Magic Trackpad for masking /composites.

I saw many varieties in the store and it seemed like they had so many functions and was a bit overwhelming. I'm not a pro by any means and I'm certainly not an illustrator. Which model do you think would suit me?

Would love to use the iPad as a Cintiq. Adobe and Wacom should team up.

Turn the iPad into a tablet like Cintiq.

This guy is actually doing it. This should work for me as I don't need to worry about pressure sensitivity.

EDIT: Now that I'm over the excitement of using my iPad as a tablet lol I need to choose a Wacom tablet for my new 27" Thunderbolt display. Any suggestions? Which Bamboo tablet would be best for Photoshop masking and compositing work? It looks like they're all the same except for the included software and the Bamboo Create is larger. Other than that, the lower models seem to be about the same. Should I get Bamboo Capture?

Honestly, I've had a Wacom Bamboo for a while and have recently tried out the iPad solution using a stylus and probably won't go back. Sure, it's not quite as responsive, but doing my masking and touchups through a touch screen is much better (IMO) then it was using a Wacom Bamboo tablet. The Intuos is the only tablet I'd look at now, but if and when I ever feel the need to upgrade from the iPad solution it will be to a proper Cintiq. Now that I've experienced drawing on a touchscreen I won't go back. Even if there is a bit of lag.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Honestly, I've had a Wacom Bamboo for a while and have recently tried out the iPad solution using a stylus and probably won't go back. Sure, it's not quite as responsive, but doing my masking and touchups through a touch screen is much better (IMO) then it was using a Wacom Bamboo tablet. The Intuos is the only tablet I'd look at now, but if and when I ever feel the need to upgrade from the iPad solution it will be to a proper Cintiq. Now that I've experienced drawing on a touchscreen I won't go back. Even if there is a bit of lag.
I was seriously considering the iPad / AirDisplay combo but I woke up. I have a new 27" Thunderbolt display that I'm not going to waste so I bought the Bamboo Create which is the largest Bamboo plus the wireless USB option. Quite cheap and I don't need the super sensitivity of higher end Wacom models so I think I'll be fine for a while. That and my new chair. It's gonna be good.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I was seriously considering the iPad / AirDisplay combo but I woke up. I have a new 27" Thunderbolt display that I'm not going to waste so I bought the Bamboo Create which is the largest Bamboo plus the wireless USB option. Quite cheap and I don't need the super sensitivity of higher end Wacom models so I think I'll be fine for a while. That and my new chair. It's gonna be good.

Please post back after you've used your new Bamboo Create for a week. Curious. Thanks! :)

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I've been using my Bamboo Create for a few hours and I have to admit I was a little worried in the beginning because it was so different. I didn't know you could turn touch off so when I'd place the pen down my magic mouse wouldn't move because the pen was on the tablet acting as a continual touch. A lot of little things you have to get used to. I haven't even opened the control panel for it yet. There is a cool little app for it called Bamboo Dock where you can practice and use paper etc.

I tried a retouch tonight and it was a lot more enjoyable with the Bamboo. I'm finding it a bit awkward switching between tablet and keyboard for key-commands etc. You either have a desk with a long row of devices consisting of an Apple wireless keyboard, magic trackpad and Bamboo or you have the keyboard and mouse above and the Bamboo on the pull-out-shelf right under the desk like I have. You have to find some kind of ergonomically suitable combo.

The CS6 key command to adjust the brush diameter is ctrl+option+drag. So my left two fingers are on the keyboard and my right hand is stylus. I really don't like this circus trick. I want a way to do basic adjustments without the keyboard. I'm sure there is a way, I just haven't explored everything yet. Also the Bamboo edge represents the edge of PS work area. So you have to reach all the way over to the left edge of the Bamboo to get to the left edge of the work area. I know this is maximum usage of the tablet surface area but I would like to not have to travel so far. There must be a scaling option but then if I do that it will totally mess up my retouching since I have scaled the movements. Hmmm

This is going to take a couple of days but Bamboo is very nice with my 27" Thunderbolt display.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Thanks for the update :) Yes, it won't take very long for you to get used to looking at the screen & not at your pen. And the keyboard shortcuts only take a little more getting used to. (Don't the [ ] keys still work for brush diameter?)

I wondered about the size/travel, because the price for the Bamboo Create is pretty good and it has a bit more sensitivity than my older version Bamboo, but I don't want to have to move my hand over a huge area.

I have a 21.5" iMac and the 4x6 Bamboo seems fine so far. (I keep it on the desk level with the keyboard & iMac on a platform I made (IKEA butcher block and Capita legs) that works well whether standing or sitting, though I have to sit while using the Bamboo.)

It will become second nature very quickly and you'll wonder how you ever accomplished anything before you got the tablet! :)

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for the update :) Yes, it won't take very long for you to get used to looking at the screen & not at your pen. And the keyboard shortcuts only take a little more getting used to. (Don't the [ ] keys still work for brush diameter?)

I wondered about the size/travel, because the price for the Bamboo Create is pretty good and it has a bit more sensitivity than my older version Bamboo, but I don't want to have to move my hand over a huge area.

I have a 21.5" iMac and the 4x6 Bamboo seems fine so far. (I keep it on the desk level with the keyboard & iMac on a platform I made (IKEA butcher block and Capita legs) that works well whether standing or sitting, though I have to sit while using the Bamboo.)

It will become second nature very quickly and you'll wonder how you ever accomplished anything before you got the tablet! :)
What's a good height for the tablet? Unfortunately mine is too high. Arm is at a rising angle. I need it about 5" lower but that's where the lower keyboard shelf is. Darn, think I might need a new lower desk. Keyboards are supposed to be below your wrist but maybe a tablet is ok at the same height or a little higher than your wrist? My new chair comes tomorrow too. Everything is gonna feel awesome.

Btw, how are you adjusting brush sizes with a tablet? Right hand is stylus so you're not using square brackets are you? They are on the right too.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less

samwich

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2007
Btw, how are you adjusting brush sizes with a tablet? Right hand is stylus so you're not using square brackets are you? They are on the right too.

In Photoshop if you have the brush tool selected, you can change the size of the brush by holding ctrl + option and then dragging right and left. Also holding option and clicking activates the color picker to select a new color. Definitely the easiest way I've found to work.

Edit: Just read that you already knew that, so you might be able to set up one of the express keys to be that button combination for you and then it would be on your tablet instead of on the keyboard.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I'd try the lower keyboard shelf first.

Here are two links about setting up tablets and dealing with mouse+controllers+keyboard+tablets etc., which you may find helpful from Matt Kohrs' Ctrl+Paint website:

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/custom-controllers/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=custom-controllers

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/tablet-surface-feel/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tablet-surface-feel
Thanks. I noticed people saying their stylus tips wear out fast. That's very interesting because I was surprised to find out, except for brush retouching, I never actually had to touch the tablet with the stylus. I guess that's the difference between retouchers and illustrators.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.