Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
For those of you who don't know, Fluid basically grabs a web app (like Facebook) and saves it as a "Real Mac App" on your computer. And unlike running in your browser, it's blazing fast.

iCloud is horrifically slow on my G5, though it does work. That's using TenFourFox. I figured that I could make a Fluid app of it - but when I launch the app, iCloud says that my browser is not supported.

I've tried changing the user agent in the iCloud.app created by Fluid but to no avail. Tried custom user agent strings for Safari 6, still no luck.

Any ideas?

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
My User Agent for my iCloud Fluid app:

Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_4) AppleWebKit/534.57.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.7 Safari/534.57.2

I've posted the following elsewhere, hoping to clarity on the uses and limitations of accessing iCloud on PowerPC:

Thanks. It's just plain crazy that this works. I was able to log in to iCloud using my Apple ID/password. But when I tried to open notes, I got the following message: "To use iCloud Notes, create a new email address by turning on Notes in your iCloud settings using iOS or OS X." Can you tell me what this means?

Thanks again.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Do you have any existing notes in your iCloud?

Thanks Jessica. I just did that, but I'm getting a message that the apps have trouble loading. I was able to access and play with "Find My iPhone." It worked like a charm. I sent an alert tone, a message, and locked my iPhone from iCloud. I'm sitting in a cafe (no power or heat at home), and it located my iPhone in the middle of traffic outside. The balkiness of the Fluid rendition of iCloud reminds me of working with Virtual PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.